Author Topic: Looking for dimensional information for First Model Virginia Manufactory Rifle  (Read 2826 times)

Offline Mattox Forge

Hello,
Does anyone know if there is any information available on typical dimensions for the First Model Virginia Manufactory Rifle. I am going to build an 1805 version with the brass hardware and octagonàl barrel. The info I have come up with in my internet searches indicates that the barrels were supposed to be 46 inches long, but I have yet to see a photo of one that is actually that long. Most of the first models I have found information with any dimensionsshows barrel lengths anywhere from 35-3/8to 42. The photos that go with them don't appear to show a gun that has been obviously shortened, i.e. pins and pipes all spaced properly for the barrel length. Did these guns just have a lot of variation and isnit possible that they were built with different length barrels? Were the pull lengths standarized? What size were the ramrods?

Thanks,

Mike
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 03:25:06 AM by mmcalc »

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
The Virginia Historical Society has a large collection of VMA guns.   I would recommend that you contact the curator to arrange a visit where you can measure for yourself. 

Offline Don Stith

When I lived in Richmond, I was fortunate to be able to handle many of the ones now in the museum

The iron mounted, snake box, walnut stocked first models  were 46" octagon to round.
The transition pieces that you are thinking about were maple stocked 42"  swamped octagon barrel. The hardware on those I've seen were 2nd model hardware and were a couple of years later than your 1805 date.
 Some of the 2nd models remained at the arsenal until the civil war and were shortened to 31" when issued for the confederacy

Offline Mattox Forge

Thanks. I will look up the museum and make a trip there.

Mike

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
Make sure you contact the curator before you go.   All the best stuff is sealed behind thick acrylic and will be unavailable for close inspection.   My guess is that they have less than perfect examples in storage that would be more than suitable to measure for recreation.