Author Topic: engraving- grand master Phil Cogan  (Read 15375 times)

Offline Captchee

Re: engraving- grand master Phil Cogan
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2015, 03:25:33 AM »
 i would agree jerry . i would add some of his work  with water fowl . simply unbelievable talent

Phil Coggan

« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2015, 01:01:28 PM »
There you go Jerry.

Pistol grip cap.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 01:26:06 PM by Phil Coggan »

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2015, 02:03:50 PM »
Simply amazing work. Wish I could do it with a pencil. Thanks for posting.         Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline KLMoors

« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2015, 02:46:51 PM »
Stunning work.  Thanks for taking the time to let us enjoy these works of art!

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2015, 03:06:37 PM »
Hi,
That must be Trafalgar.  Absolutely magical work.  I assume most of the portraiture is done with Bulino dots?

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Phil Coggan

« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2015, 03:41:30 PM »
Actually Dave it's the Nile, a bullet hit a timber and the splinters caught Nelson above his eye causing him to lose it. He died at Trafalgar, but I guess you new that.

The majority of the scene was done with lines, hardly any dots, it would have taken too long that way.

Phil

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2015, 03:49:26 PM »
Hi Phil,
Thank you for that information.  I find it incredible that the shading is done with lines!!  Unbelievable!!  I am in awe and appreciate your sharing those images with us. It really hammers home the primitive quality of the engraving we emulate on 18th century American longrifles.  But those rural makers did the best they could with the tools and experience at hand.  Thanks again, Phil.

dave

Phil Coggan

« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2015, 04:00:58 PM »
Dave, I know what it's like to work with primitive tools, mine were when I first started, as they were made by myself, trial and error method.

As for reproducing replica Kentucky's etc. Modern quality engraving wouldn't work on them  :)

Phil

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2015, 07:23:59 PM »
 I have never seen anything to compare with that naval battle scene on those locks.  Just think, These photos are at least double size the originals. I don't see how you can do that without getting burned out.  Thanks for the treats.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

hammer

« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2015, 09:07:06 PM »
Mmmmmm.  Actually Nelson injured his eye, not lost it, when leading a landing party in Corsica as a junior officer.   A musket ball grazed a rock spraying particles into his eye.    He was temporarily blinded in that eye.  He later applied for a pension as compensation for his injury which was refused.  He had reduced vision but was not blinded.   He later made much of his injuries to court publicity and enhance his public esteem.   His likeness on the top of Nelson's Column in Trafalgar Square, London, does not include an eye patch.

Stunning engraving.   Takes my breath away.    I guess similar to he skills of printing plate engraving?

Phil Coggan

« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2015, 09:29:54 PM »
There seems to be conflicting stories about his eye as I have read and was also given the information by Peter Nelson that the injury was done aboard ship, the engraving is a copy of a painting done not long after the incident and shows the injury in the form of a fold of skin above the eye with blood running down into the eye?

I mentioned the loss of the eye which was not correct as there are portraits of Nelson showing the damaged eye

Phil
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 11:11:14 AM by Phil Coggan »

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2015, 12:18:11 AM »
Hammer,
Thank you for sharing your experience and knowledge with us on this side of the pond.  I appreciate your posts.

dave

Online JTR

• member 2
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2015, 07:02:08 PM »
Just in case someone here is feeling the need to acquire a fine set of rifles embellished with Mr. Cogan's engraving, click the following link;
 :o

http://www.sitemason.com/page/kjmcWA

All I can say is absolutely amazing and I appreciate you being here!

John
John Robbins

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2015, 07:34:45 PM »
Guys, we have left the photos of these modern guns on ALR to show the engraving. My thought was that the discussion was about the engraving and not the modern guns. Now the reply's have drifted into modern guns themselves so I am going to lock this topic.
Dennis

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2015, 01:44:19 AM »
That is simply the most incredible work I've ever seen.  I could spend hours staring at them.  Stunning.  Thanks so much for posting!!

Ed
Ed Wenger