Author Topic: For Pure Enjoyment Of Shooting - Flint or Cap?  (Read 13340 times)

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
Re: For Pure Enjoyment Of Shooting - Flint or Cap?
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2009, 06:20:10 PM »
Obviously God shoots a flintlock, too.  Just wondering what style: Southern, PA, Jeager, maybe?

My favorite capgun is the US Model 1841 (Mississippi rifle).  Love mine!  It's the most handsome military rifle ever produced IMHO.  The last roundball gun the military issued.  Accurate, to boot.  Next to my flinters it's my very favorite.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Daryl

« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2009, 06:29:00 PM »
Flintr - you forgot the M42's & M47's in .69 - both were smoothbores, but were certainly 'guns'. I really liked the M47's lines for a hunting rifle- cap-gun of course, that late. Rifled, they would be superb - with patched RB, of course. for that purpose.  Once rifled by the gvernment, the military issued 730gr. Minnie's with 70gr. rifle powder for them, ranked by those who used them to advantage as being more accurate than the .54's or .58's.

david50

« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2009, 06:51:03 PM »
definately flinters,shot caplocks for about fifteen years then about ten years ago a fella at a vouz let me shoot his flintlock. hav'nt shot anything else since then.

Offline hanshi

• martialartsusa.com
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2009, 07:19:01 PM »
Hmmm...Wrote a post & forgot to post it.  Oh well, I'll try again.

For Daryl:  I didn't intend to "dis" the M42 & M47.  I can only imagine what they hit like.  A Mack truck comes to mind!  I should have said "rifle" instead of "gun" but I tend to use the terms interchangeably which can lead to confusion.  I was, of course, speaking of the last roundball "rifle" rather than "gun".  The M41 was revolutionary (or, well, possibly "unique") in a number of ways.  I still stand in awe of the M41's accuracy.  The muskets that were rifled and re-barreled were the source of the term "rifled musket" which persisted up to the advent of metallic cartridges.  At any rate the M41 in the original .54 cal. is my favorite, much more so than the more popular zouave (which I have owned).

Daryl

« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2009, 05:54:37 PM »
I agree the '41's were very nice rifles BUT I would prefer the M1814'sr 1817's as built under contract by Henry Deringer, both .54 cal.  They look good, better in fact than the 41, and they are flinters.

It might be fun to shoot a M1819 Hall rifle - or not.

Offline hanshi

• martialartsusa.com
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2009, 06:16:49 PM »
The only negative thing about the M41 is that it's NOT a flinter.  Otherwise, well, you know my preference.  It's "eye of the beholder" all over again.  Some like red heads, some like brunets, some blonds.

Offline LynnC

« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2009, 06:28:43 PM »
Definately Flint - Easier for me to prime than cap.  Flints are cheap or free and can be re-worked.  Caps are getting expensive these days.  Still enjoy the cap guns but am considering converting them to flint!.........................Lynn
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......

Offline hanshi

• martialartsusa.com
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2009, 10:33:28 PM »
For deer (& everything else, actually) I use flints, exclusively, though three years ago I used my M41 on a doe.  It has to earn it's keep, you see.

Leon

« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2009, 02:43:02 AM »
I'm not much of a student of BP arms but I know what I like as far as asthetics. Full stock civilians look best as flinters, half stocks like an Ohio or a plains type look somewhat odd as anything but a percussion. I own a GPR in .50 cal. and a Lancaster style flint in .58 cal. the flinter is newest and I've shot it once but Its all I can think of right now. Leon 

Offline hanshi

• martialartsusa.com
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2009, 03:01:30 AM »
Flintlocks kinda get under your skin.  They can be addicting.