Author Topic: Shellac under Chambers Oil Finish  (Read 5764 times)

Offline Yancey von Yeast

• Starting Member
    • Yancey von Yeast Antique Arms
Shellac under Chambers Oil Finish
« on: October 26, 2015, 01:36:18 PM »
Hello,

This may have been covered already, but here is a question. Has anyone tried using shellac to fill the grain under Chambers Traditional Oil finish on American walnut?

Thanks,
Yancey

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
Re: Shellac under Chambers Oil Finish
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 04:45:09 PM »
I usually seal maple with shellac, then oil. Walnut, I have not sealed with shellac, but I don't see why not. Rub it on like French polish(look up YouTube), across the grain, and the shellac would fill the pores.

I've done Lin-Speed on a more modern walnut stock, but that was many coats, with wet oil sanding in between to slowly fill the grain while removing the surface build-up of finish. Laborious, but beautiful. Impossible to finish carving in this way.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline FDR

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 06:34:24 PM »
Yes you can either maple or walnut! Correctly done it is equal to the best London oil finish.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 06:35:58 PM »
I've done it, but make absolutely certain that the shellac has dried completely. i.e. all the volatiles have off gassed.  [ Not certain as to what shellac you're using ...so had to put that in  :)  ]    I saw a gun at the range that had small bubbles under the oil finish . Since the fellow used a shellac sealer, I'm guessing that was the cause.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2015, 08:05:29 PM »
This may have been covered already, but here is a question. Has anyone tried using shellac to fill the grain under Chambers Traditional Oil finish on American walnut?

I have not tried shellac, might be great but having tried to fill walnut grain with other wood finishes i.e. oils, varnishes etc I recommend that you try a wood filler made for that purpose. I prefer black but you can get it in any color you want. Chambers carries a black filler that I use. It does a great job, is only $5 and easily enough for 2 gun stocks, maybe more. Other places carry a white that can be tinted to any color you want.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2015, 12:55:14 AM »
I usually wet sand walnut using copious amounts of the oil and use the resulting slurry as a grain filler.  Then wipe it off across the grain while the oil is still wet.  Alternatively, you can do the same thing using water, but let it dry and then buff it cross grain with burlap.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Online tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2015, 01:11:15 AM »
I use a coat of seed lac under almost all my finishes(Jim Chambers,Tried and True....) .Any issues with shellac under a finish probably is'nt drying time(it dries almost instantly) it's most likely old shellac.Shellac absorbs water from the air and should never be used if more than six months old  as it won't dry properly.There is no telling how old that premixed can of shellac is on the hardware store shelf!! I mix my own from dried Lac in small batches and toss it after a couple of months or so.

Mitch

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2015, 03:38:25 AM »
I just picked up a can of zinnser bullseye and noticed that they advise against using it as a dealer under oil.  Also noticed They sell a Product specifically for use as a dealer.  I've used it, however, on walnut and beech with good results under Tru Oil.  Maybe too many users were NOT doing as Dennis suggested!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 04:51:05 AM by Ky-Flinter »
Mike Lee

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2015, 03:39:16 AM »
"Dealer".  Dang phone!
Mike Lee

Offline PPatch

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2015, 04:03:42 AM »
"sealer." yeah, dang that phone.  ;)

(mine does that too...)

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2015, 05:23:23 AM »
I use a coat of seed lac under almost all my finishes(Jim Chambers,Tried and True....) .Any issues with shellac under a finish probably is'nt drying time(it dries almost instantly) it's most likely old shellac.Shellac absorbs water from the air and should never be used if more than six months old  as it won't dry properly.There is no telling how old that premixed can of shellac is on the hardware store shelf!! I mix my own from dried Lac in small batches and toss it after a couple of months or so.

Mitch

As a new user of shellac, thanks for the reminder.  I'll date my cans and source up some flakes. Note I'm using it for other things mostly. 
Hold to the Wind

Online tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2015, 06:00:12 AM »
Wade

A great source for all things shellac http://www.shellac.net/

Mitch

Offline Yancey von Yeast

• Starting Member
    • Yancey von Yeast Antique Arms
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2015, 01:18:21 PM »
Thanks to all for the tips. Some great information!

Yancey

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2015, 04:46:35 PM »
Slightly off topic but I used Birchwood Casey walnut sealer under Chambers oil finish with great results. I put on a bunch of coats of the sealer, sanded it off to bare wood (the pores were filled) and applied 5 thin coats the Chambers oil finish.

I thought it came out really nice.

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2015, 04:33:21 PM »
 I use a 1# cut of dewaxed garnet shellac ... 2 coats then sand or scrape back to bare wood, leaving the pores filled..... burnish the shellacked wood thoroughly with a crumpled up paper bag and a smooth antler tip for hard to reach areas.... do it fast to warm the shellac... you will not need to do any whiskering after burnishing shellac.  Apply the Chambers Oil Varnish....  
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 04:33:47 PM by Dr. Tim-Boone »
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Daryl

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2015, 06:24:04 PM »
This is simply True Oil, only. Filled and sanded back (several times to ensure filling) to the top surface with 1500grit wet/dry paper, thin extra 3 coats, then polished with a rouge paste.

photocopy to show highlights:

Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V