Author Topic: " Dirt and Grime"  (Read 8973 times)

n stephenson

Re: " Dirt and Grime"
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2016, 05:47:11 PM »
Thanks to everyone that contributed . My intention definitely wasn't to offend anyone. Living in this modern offended nation sometimes it`s hard to use levity and everyone "get it". It`s not that I don`t think that everyone is entitled to an opinion , it`s just that opinions are hard to rub on a gunstock.Smallpatch I apologize for not commenting on the Beautiful rifle you built NICE WORK !!! thanks for sharing. Thanks everyone Nathan

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2016, 07:33:24 PM »
I have been working with annalyn dyes lately. Quite time consuming. More like painting a painting than finishing a gun. :P
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2016, 11:43:20 PM »
Lots of burnishing, oiling and sprinkle fine floor sweepings, wood ash, cement dust to the oil, then rubbing back. Layer and layer of finish, allowing it to dry between coats. Color the oil to change the tone.

Light denting of the surface is very effective, chain rattled over cloth on the gun, tapping with rocks, then more burnish, finish more dirt, more burnish.

You are building up a finish in several months that might take years to develop naturally.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 11:46:04 PM by Acer Saccharum »
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.