Author Topic: First build trigger question  (Read 3374 times)

Linoww

First build trigger question
« on: November 05, 2015, 07:17:19 AM »
I got a 3/4 finished flinter.the trigger is just a single plain one pinned into the stock behind the lock and protruding though a slot with no cover plate.does this hold up or should I get a trigger "unit"?

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: First build trigger question
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2015, 07:34:22 AM »
Normally you will have a trigger plate inletted around your pinned trigger, the tang screw will pass through the wrist and be threaded into the front end of the trigger plate.

Trigger plates are easy to make.

Here is one I made for an English fowler. Normally they are a lot thinner then the steel I used for mine.

English Fowlers have an offset trigger slot.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 07:36:17 AM by Eric Krewson »

Linoww

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2015, 04:58:55 PM »
Thanks.so the trigger pivoting on a pin  itself isn't a bad deal?it looks just like yours.I may make a,plate like yours,I like the way that looks.

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2015, 05:20:09 PM »
The simple trigger, as it is called, will do just fine. I usually try to put a little u-shaped piece of brass at the top of the inlet to form sort of a bearing surface at the pin hole. I don't know if it helps anything or not, but it makes me feel better, especially when the trigger slot is close to the lock inlet. There is not much wood left for the trigger pin on the lock end.

As Eric indicates, a trigger plate is not hard to make. I use 1/8" flat bar from Lowe's and cut out the shape, which can be anything from a fancy shape to a simple rectangle. Drill a series of holes to start the trigger slot and clean up with needle files.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 05:23:42 PM by Pete G. »

Online Dave B

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2015, 05:41:25 AM »
The better question is what type of gun are you building. Sea service pieces had no trigger plate but had a square nut inlet for the tang screw to anchor into just where the normal trigger plate would have had the screw located. Some trade guns did not have trigger plates.
Dave Blaisdell

Linoww

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2015, 04:32:29 PM »
It's a pile of parts and resembles a plains rifle and is a flintlock.
Nothing historically correct.I just didn't want the trigger to work it's way loose over time.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2015, 04:42:38 PM »
I may not be the greatest cutting a slot in the wood for the trigger but can cut the slot in a trigger plate to fit perfectly with no slop or side to side movement, I like trigger plates.