Author Topic: Question about leaving gun "in the white" or bright  (Read 5252 times)

robrmcc

Question about leaving gun "in the white" or bright
« on: November 03, 2015, 08:16:37 PM »
I have just purchased a Ron Ehlert made Vincent percussion rifle, I believe built around the 1980's.  Beautiful little rifle, forty calibre with a lot of very fine custom engraving on it.  It has been left in the white.  Is it just a personal preferrence to leave a rifle (barrel, lock, patch box) bright or is there some practical purpose to it.  I like the look but I do shoot it a lot and it is a lot of work keeping the barrel and lock from staining.  So I would like to brown the hardware and barrel but am wondering first if it would reduce the value of the rifle and secondly is there a practical reason not too?  Will it soften up the engraving or make it less apparent?

Thanks,
Rob McC

Offline Don Stith

Re: Question about leaving gun "in the white" or bright
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 09:07:59 PM »
I believe Ron was replicating what was typical on an original Vincent. If truly polished bright, t takes very little effort to keep it that way. A little rub down and oiling after each use is all it takes

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 09:12:17 PM »
I have built a couple of rifles that I have polished bright.  My personal rifle is that way.  It does not stay bright, it is now has a light grayish patina to it that I rather like.

Coryjoe

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 11:29:48 PM »
Cold browning will tend to obscure some of the engraving, especially if allowed to get too thick. One of the hot browns such as Plum Brown would probably be better.

If you are going to leave it white you might want to consider an antique gray finish. I give my locks a coating or two of phosphoric acid, which leaves sort of a dull gray that is somewhat rust resistant, but it might be a little too muted for your tastes. Try it on a test piece of plain steel first to see if you like it.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2015, 11:54:25 PM »
Cold browning solution will only minimally diminish the effect of engraving, if it is carded down to steel after each application.  Then the colour is IN the steel as opposed to ON it.  Rub it down hard with four ought steel wool after each application of solution has been left to fester.  Gives a durable and pleasing colour and finish.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 12:01:22 AM by D. Taylor Sapergia »
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

robrmcc

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2015, 12:55:17 AM »
Well that browning looks very nice and I have a lock that I browned thirty years ago that looks very similar.  But I think I will leave the rifle bright for now.  The engraving is wonderful on the lock and patch box and I don't want to risk diminishing it in any way.  Though I have noticed some dark stains on the barrel where it looked like it got wet at one time, maybe rusted a bit and I noticed the lock is darkening around the nipple.   Is this inevitable and desirable as "patina" is desirable on your brass?  It does not come off with oil and steel wool, or with water and steel wool.  At least with the aggression I am willing to show it.

Can someone give me a two sentence explanation on how to post images?  The buttons above only put html into my text and I can't find an insert button anywhere.

Thanks,

Lovely forum by the way.  So far all good information, not seen any squabbles anywhere.  I like that.

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2015, 01:27:21 AM »
Rob,

Go here http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=10.0 and scroll down to the Tiny Pic instructions.  While not just two sentences, it is straight forward and easy to do.  Give it a try.

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2015, 01:28:01 AM »
Can someone give me a two sentence explanation on how to post images?  The buttons above only put html into my text and I can't find an insert button anywhere.
Here goes:
Put photo on a website, copy URL by doing a right click on photo then "copy image location", then paste the URL in the post, highlight the URL, click on the photo button under the I

You can put the photos on your own website (most ISP's give you free space) or you can use PhotoBucket, TinyPic or other photo hosting sites. Makes no difference. Once you get the photo on a website it will have an URL assigned. I can't put the BBC tags in this text since they will not display here. When you click on the picture (under the Italic I) it will insert the proper BBC code just make sure your URL goes between the two img codes with no spaces.

Hope that helps.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2015, 01:31:27 AM »
Cold browning solution will only minimally diminish the effect of engraving,

Taylor, what kind of cold browning solution did you use? Someone gave me a bottle of Plum Brown but it looks so fake I don't use it. Yours looks nice.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

rfd

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2015, 02:02:21 AM »
i prefer in-the-white, as perhaps the majority of barrels and iron ware were left in the 18th century.  allow to patina on their own.

Turtle

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2015, 02:50:57 PM »
 people often mistake my older French greyed guns with patina as being in the white. the big advantage over true in the white is rust resistance.
                                                              Turtle

Offline RAT

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2015, 07:37:35 PM »
If Mr. Ehlert made it that way, I'd leave it alone. Out of respect for the maker if for no other reason.

I never had the opportunity to meet the man. But I had the good fortune to speak with him on the phone once.
Bob

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2015, 10:20:51 PM »
I agree with RAT. Out of respect to this fine maker I would leave it as he intended it to look. These pieces are works of art. No one would dream of buying a fine painting and changing a color on it. Why is a gun any different?          Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

rfd

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2015, 06:13:18 AM »
i believe that most of the arms built in the 18th century had barrels left in-the-white, au naturale.  and if so, the most authentic period correct arm would have relatively shiny bright barrels, just as received back then by their purchasers.  ;D

Turtle

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2015, 07:38:11 PM »
 But what working,non military gun stayed shinny?
                                                Turtle

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2015, 12:23:54 AM »
Cold browning solution will only minimally diminish the effect of engraving,

Taylor, what kind of cold browning solution did you use? Someone gave me a bottle of Plum Brown but it looks so fake I don't use it. Yours looks nice.

Dennis

Dennis,

LMF will give exactly those results if you use the 3 hour method, card between coats, and don't let the temp get too hot.  More moisture and more heat equal that coarse, grainy texture.
LMF is very versatile.  I've even gotten a shiny dark purple out of it .
In His grip,

Dane