Author Topic: When was the first use of a double set trigger?  (Read 4697 times)

timalso

When was the first use of a double set trigger?
« on: November 09, 2015, 12:28:29 AM »
After my extensive failed search, could someone please advise me of the first use of double set triggers? Thanks.

Steve-In

Re: When was the first use of a double set trigger?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 12:39:24 AM »
I do not know if it is true but I was told double set triggers were developed for crossbows.  It sounded logical to me as they would be holding a great deal of weight.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2015, 01:49:17 AM »
In terms of muzzleloaders, there was no need for a set trigger before the development of the rifle. 
Andover, Vermont

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2015, 02:28:37 AM »
Going through RCA 1 and 2, there are an awful lot of rifles with only single triggers. I think that it depends on the location of the builder, the time etc.  Although they existed earlier, were they that common in the mid 1700's in America ?   I personally believe that set triggers became more commonplace in the last 1/4 of the 18th C and into the 19th C

Offline PPatch

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2015, 02:46:23 AM »
I do not know if it is true but I was told double set triggers were developed for crossbows.  It sounded logical to me as they would be holding a great deal of weight.

You are correct Steve, set triggers as such were used on crossbows and later adapted to shoot'n irons. I have seen highly decorated 16th century hunting crossbows with set triggers in a museum in Germany.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2015, 03:59:12 PM »
In terms of muzzleloaders, there was no need for a set trigger before the development of the rifle. 

I have made a LOT of double set triggers but see no need for them on anything.OLD flintlocks had to have a "half cocked"position and I have never seen one with a "fly" so that means the trigger had to be "set" to carry the gun ready to fire and IF the trigger released unknown to the shooter then if it didn't break the sear or tumbler then the gun could fire if brought to full cock..The top of the line English flintlocks had a "fly" but most used a single trigger and in some cases a single set trigger with no external adjustment screw to give away the fact it was a set trigger.I have a fine one from a Fenton target pistol that was destroyed in the air raids of 1940 and was given to me by Lynton McKenzie about 30 years ago. No,it's not for sale.

Bob Roller

Offline RAT

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2015, 07:27:14 PM »
I believe it's correct that set triggers pre-date firearms. Set triggers were used on German wheellock rifles before the development of flint ignition. These were short rifles with "cheek stocks" and fired from a rest. This was before shoulder stocks were adopted by the Germans for use on rifles. I believe shoulder stocks were developed in either France of Spain. Rifled barrels were developed in Germany very early in the evolution of firearms.

When were they first used on American rifles? Probably since the first German immigrants arrived. They were already familiar with them on rifles since the 1500's. 
Bob

Offline Chris Treichel

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2015, 11:04:14 PM »

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2015, 03:50:46 AM »
Nice rifle Chris!
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Stan

• stanhollenbaughgunsmith.com
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2015, 06:54:32 PM »
The only signed Andreas Albrecht rifle lock( ca 1750s)has a captured fly in the tumbler which indicates it was made for a set trigger.