Author Topic: A Germanic Fowler.....  (Read 9946 times)

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
Re: A Germanic Fowler.....
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2015, 11:58:02 PM »
Critique is often as hard to give as it is to receive. Mike, you offered great suggestions in a very genuine and kindly way.

(I wish you were as honest with me, but I'd probably delete your membership.   :o )

Hahahaha.

Ed, this is a stellar piece. I agree with the architecture comments Mike has put forth about the buttstock. But the gun is just gorgeous overall. A lot of subtlety in the colors of metal and wood. Gorgeous carving. Lovely.

Guys, we are fortunate to have such builders on our site. Ed abilities have skyrocketed in just the last few years. I hope you are aware that Ed demos carving and wire inlay at Dixon's Fair in July?
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline t.caster

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2015, 12:20:25 AM »
BEAUTIFUL! I appreciate all the time and craftsmanship you put into this fine piece. The dots are a cool accent, but I wouldn't have used quite so many.  I hope your not insulted because the overall work is really beautiful!
Tom C.

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2015, 01:52:05 AM »
Humble thanks to all.....

Ron, you are so correct about the therapy thing, lol.  I would imagine that's one reason you excel at this gun building endeavor as well...

Mike, thanks for the input, and I've never known you to be hesitant about much!  Seriously, I certainly take no offense.  In fact, I see exactly what you're saying.  In my defense, and I hate to say this because it drives me nuts sometimes when others say it, but we were working from an original, and the architecture is pretty much what you see.  I wanted to stay within the lines of what the original builder was doing with the stock, hence the longer comb.  That aspect of the piece popped out to me when I first saw it, but the more I looked at it, the more unique I thought it to be.  It's probably hard to see, but there's also a little bit of a curve to the underside of the butt, closer to the toe.  Thought that was kind of cool too.  Anyway, that's my 'splainin' as to where I was coming from.   Inlays were on the original as well, although more elaborate than what I did.  Probably have to agree to disagree on that one, I like 'em!  Again, thanks for the input.

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2015, 02:14:05 AM »
Superb craftsmanship Ed. Just beautiful.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2015, 02:39:44 AM »
Humble thanks to all.....

Ron, you are so correct about the therapy thing, lol.  I would imagine that's one reason you excel at this gun building endeavor as well...

Mike, thanks for the input, and I've never known you to be hesitant about much!  Seriously, I certainly take no offense.  In fact, I see exactly what you're saying.  In my defense, and I hate to say this because it drives me nuts sometimes when others say it, but we were working from an original, and the architecture is pretty much what you see.  I wanted to stay within the lines of what the original builder was doing with the stock, hence the longer comb.  That aspect of the piece popped out to me when I first saw it, but the more I looked at it, the more unique I thought it to be.  It's probably hard to see, but there's also a little bit of a curve to the underside of the butt, closer to the toe.  Thought that was kind of cool too.  Anyway, that's my 'splainin' as to where I was coming from.   Inlays were on the original as well, although more elaborate than what I did.  Probably have to agree to disagree on that one, I like 'em!  Again, thanks for the input.

Ed
Well, if that were the way the original was i probably would have done the same thing as you did. I sort of wondered if that may have been the case as your work has always shown you have a great grasp of architecture.
 Do you know what area of germany that gun came from?

I'm taking the easy way out and going generic..... ;D
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2015, 03:04:08 AM »
Ed the only thing I see wrong is it is not mine. Man I wished I had that kind of talent. Very well done!!!!!!

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2015, 03:52:50 AM »
Mike, it was from the Suhl region.  I'd have to look at the plate I have in the shop for more specifics, but that part jumped out of my limited understanding of German...  I suspect there was at least some French influence to this piece, due to the proximity.  I would also suspect that might have something to do with the comb length and shape.  Best,

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline Phip

• Starting Member
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2015, 06:05:29 AM »
Yowza, Ed, I've been waiting to see this since the NMLRA class ended in June.  You did not disappoint.  Wow.  I'm still working to get mine to the in the white stage, but am progressing. 

With regards to the interesting thoughts about the architecture, all i can say as a newb is that it took me more than seeing the gun to believe in its rightness.  The gun fits.  It nestles into your shoulder like a sleepy kitten, and when you raise it with your eyes closed it's pointed where you're hoping when you open them.  Oh yeah, and I think it weighs less than 7 pounds.  A spectacular effort, Ed.  Thanks for the detailed pictures.