Author Topic: 1st Stab at relief carving  (Read 7849 times)

Thawk

1st Stab at relief carving
« on: November 14, 2015, 09:52:57 PM »
Here is my first try at relief carving.  I'm not sure how I feel about it.   I don't think it's a total disaster but there are definitely some things I don't like.

Any suggestions and critiques are appreciated.

Tim 

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
Re: 1st Stab at relief carving
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2015, 10:03:45 PM »
You lines look nice and smooth and you haven't cut too deep.   It looks good so far to me.   Keep going and don't get in a hurry.   

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2015, 10:11:05 PM »
You have chosen a lovely strong design, and so far, so good.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

ricktull

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2015, 10:12:08 PM »
I like it- well designed!

Offline PPatch

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2015, 12:00:57 AM »
"...there are definitely some things I don't like."

Step back and take a break for a bit Tim, sounds to me like you're just too close to it right now and suffering "coulda shoulda" syndrome.

It is a good design and for a first carving you are doing very well indeed. I like it.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

thimble rig

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2015, 12:31:36 AM »
Looks good to me.Better than my first one

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2015, 12:34:21 AM »
I like it.  Good work for your first try.  If you are like me, I was just happy to have put something down which wasn't a disaster and there is nothing here in that category. .   You might go back and look at your modeling as there are a couple places you can add interest to the detail and make it even nicer.  The fiddle head on the lower right and the long leaf for example.  This would be inside your current work and is easy to do.  Maybe a couple chisel nicks at the junctions.  

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2015, 01:13:49 AM »
Looks good to me. I have dabbled with stabbed in carving in the past with less positive results than you. Keep at it, you'll be the next Kibler.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Online wattlebuster

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2015, 01:22:44 AM »
Looks great to me ;D I would be happy if I could just draw it out to look that good
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2015, 02:06:59 AM »
Very nice. I am no carver, but I like it.  Maybe drop the background down a bit more.  Best wishes,   Marc

Offline flatsguide

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2015, 07:11:13 AM »
Looking good!

Thawk

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2015, 07:45:32 AM »
Thanks for all the kind comments.  I'm satisfied enough to do the rest of the rifle.  I need to clean it up some more for sure.  I do appreciate the critiques.   ;D
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 07:46:56 AM by Thawk »

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2015, 05:29:27 PM »
There are a couple of places that could use a little more refinement, but don't be too hard on yourself. Most 18th carvers didn't turn out work as good as some today. They were doing it for a living and could not afford to lavish hours and hours to get the carving just right. If you will examine a lot photographs of old guns you will see that while there are a few true masters like Beck and Haines, most of the carving falls far short of perfection in design and/or execution. Sometime "good enough" really is good enough. That is not to say you should be satisfied with work that falls short, but if it is not quite perfect you are in good company (and historically correct).

Incidentally, I find it helpful to pencil in the design and let it "rest" for a little while, at least overnight. Invariably when I come back to it I find things that can be improved on.

kaintuck

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2015, 06:35:39 PM »
Sharpen up the 1/4" flat chisel, and start paring off the background......slow small arcs, till your hands get sore, quit for the day then.also, using a head mount magnifier will help get up close and personal.....

Your doing fine.....

Marc n tomtom

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2015, 01:35:45 AM »
Sharpen up the 1/4" flat chisel, and start paring off the background......slow small arcs, till your hands get sore, quit for the day then.also, using a head mount magnifier will help get up close and personal.....

Your doing fine.....

Marc n tomtom
Can I quit  when my hands get tired too? :-\
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2015, 01:46:21 AM »
 I like it you picked  a simple elegant balanced design and executed it well   Like Jerry said add a few little Flourishes to it and it will  catch your eye nicely.  good work. Getting a good flowing balanced design is not simple.  It fills the space nicely   You have an eye.  if you can develop a hand you're going to be a good Carver.  I like to see elevation changes and overlapping elements   Keep it going
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Willbarq

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2015, 09:12:35 AM »
I think "well enough" applies here. It looks good. You can see it better than us, but better to stop than ruin it. (Which is what I am capable of) Very nice and simply elegant.

kaintuck

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2015, 03:27:18 PM »

Your doing fine.....

Marc n tomtom
Can I quit  when my hands get tired too? :-\

No!.....Mary mays works harder than you......and is HECK lot better looking!😜

pushboater

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2015, 07:19:55 PM »
Believe me, that's many times better than my first try! It flows real nice. You're going to be an outstanding carver. Be sure and post some finished pics.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2015, 08:42:13 PM »
Agree this is looking great.  Word of caution that I've had to be careful with narrow parts of the design.  There's no room to fix things by making it narrower else I end up with spaghetti!
Andover, Vermont

Offline Squirrel pizza

« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2015, 10:42:26 PM »
Being a novice at carving myself, I know how much guts it takes to put chisel to wood and test your abilities for the first time. After all the work that went into the stock before hand, and to think you might ruin it, speaks well of you. I think you have done well and hope you get a little more ambitious on your next attempt. Maybe some wire inlay. Maybe a picture of me on the patch box. I like what you have done, but all that matters is that you do. P.S. that looks familiar.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 10:48:54 PM by Squirrel pizza »