Author Topic: First rifle finished  (Read 5162 times)

Offline davebozell

First rifle finished
« on: November 28, 2015, 11:59:54 PM »
Finally finished my first rifle.  Started with a TOTW generic "kit", so no specific school, just a place to start to learn.  I made plenty of mistakes, but was able to correct most of them.  My wife was impressed enough to give me the green light on another one, and it's hanging over our front door.

Chambers Golden Age lock, 50 cal Colerain straight barrel (yeah, I know now...)

Carving similar to the crest rail on a Windsor chair

Tried to get it as skinny as possible.  (Thanks to Curt Lyles for showing me what "skinny" really meant.)

It's new home over our front door.
Sorry for the terrible pictures.  Comments and suggestions welcome.

Offline smylee grouch

Re: First rifle finished
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 12:23:45 AM »
I would say you did a great first job. Patch box might be a little too long for me but thats just me.

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 01:41:59 AM »
I think it looks pretty darn good for a first timer. Looks a lot better than my first
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

J Hollis

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2015, 03:38:09 AM »
Looks good - what method did you use to finish the lock and barrel?

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2015, 05:02:41 AM »
Fine first effort. How does it shoot? My first rifle was full of mistakes, but it shot well. It is still the rifle I shoot most in matches. Taken several deer and a few squirrels with it.  Not very pretty but effective. I finally had to replace touch hole liner a while back. WARNING! Flintlocks can be addictive.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2015, 05:29:41 AM »
Very nice rifle. Well done.

Offline davebozell

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2015, 06:23:31 AM »
To finish the lock, I first bead blasted the exterior components, then I used Historic Houseparts "Brass Tarnishing Solution.  For the barrel, I used four coats of Laurel Mountain Barrel Brown.  I took most of the browning off with gray scotchbrite, and then used more of the brass tarnishing solution.  I bead blasted the lock parts a couple years ago with glass beads, and for whatever reason, none of those parts ever developed even a touch of rust.

Haven't shot it yet, but I know what you mean about addictive.

thimble rig

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2015, 05:56:32 PM »
That's a pretty good job I like the color of the stain.i have been reading on how to age brass Did you use anything on youre brass parts

Offline davebozell

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2015, 03:16:28 AM »
I used the Historic Houseparts "Brass Tarnishing Solution" on the brass parts as well.  The difference was that the brass parts had to be submerged in the solution.  It took several minutes, but turned the parts black.  I then used gray scotchbrite to remove some of the black.  For the steel parts like the lock and barrel, all I had to do was wipe the solution on the parts.  The results on steel were almost instantaneous.  Scotchbrite also worked on the steel parts to bring some contrast to the parts.  Additional applications could be added to touch up areas where needed.  Scotchbrite helped blend everything together.

For the stain, I used two coats of aqua fortis.  I showed the process in a previous post.

Offline Bill Ladd

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2015, 04:54:36 AM »
I'd say that's an awesome first effort for sure!!

Boompa

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2015, 07:08:09 AM »
Nothin' wrong with that rifle.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2015, 06:21:17 PM »
Dave, just keep an eye on the gun where it sits in the hangers. The vibration from the door opening and closing could put wear on the rifle if the hooks aren't padded well. Gun could wear even if the hooks are padded.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 06:21:39 PM by Acer Saccharum »
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline davebozell

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2015, 02:47:32 AM »
Thanks for the advise Acer.  Luckily, we don't use this door much.  I also wrapped the hooks with leather, so hopefully that will protect the rifle.  Would wood cradles inside the hooks be better?