Author Topic: Bending the Tang  (Read 10537 times)

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
Re: Bending the Tang
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2015, 08:39:37 PM »
D. Taylor,

Is this about the way you are suggesting?  Plus more draft on the sides of the lug?  

Make the inside corner square, not with a radius. The radius will naturally want to lift the barrel during recoil.

I also think there should be a smaller radius, but you need to be careful with square corners.    A corner is a stress point that leads to cracks.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 08:41:53 PM by Mark Elliott »

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Bending the Tang
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2015, 08:45:07 PM »
After tapering the bolster {that's what I call it} and removing a lot of depth and the large radius of the bolster. I still end up w/ a tang that's a lot thinner at the bolster than at the end of the tang. Seeing I like to start the curve of the wrist some distance into the bbl. or  at the breech end and the tang above the bolster won't bend, how do you guys eliminate the possible flat at the beginning of the wrist?...Fred   
Inlet the barrel and tang then file off what ever is sticking up above the wood level.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?