Author Topic: "Early" Lancaster architecture  (Read 3218 times)

Rootsy

"Early" Lancaster architecture
« on: January 11, 2011, 04:20:43 AM »
I decided to take on an easy winter project and concentrate on improving some skills in the inletting and architectural areas.  Attention to details I guess I'd call it.  Saves me from all of that extra work removing wood only to get it wrong in the end I reckon. 

I had a 38" C weight Rice so I ordered a Chambers Isaac Haines stock and hardware.  Everything has gone exceedingly well and I've only made one or two oopsies that were easily recovered from and I have managed to learn quite a few new techniques and skills.  I am now onto rough shaping.  I would like to get it at least "close" in the area of the stock architecture.  I am hoping for a bit of guidance and hopefully some examples. 

I am aware that RCA I & II are probably my best bet but if you recall I had a short story some time back about the copies I had in my possession a couple of times.  I doubt I will be welcome to them again... Pesky libraries and their due dates... Don't they realize these things aren't built in 2 weeks... Well at least not by me. 

With that said I've looked around at contemporary examples by some of the esteemed professionals that participate here and that allows me to get a "feel" for the shapes in different areas.  Some rough dimensions of areas such as wrist and fore-end width as well as some ideas for lock panel shape would be appreciated.  I particularly seem to struggle with the rear pipe transition as well as the barrel & tang to stock transition. 

I am not looking to recreate a "Haines" clone and have no issue deviating to make it something representative of the area and "school".  The decoration will very likely be much more simplistic than Haines' work.  I was going to install a wooden patch box but I have been considering a simple brass box without side plates.  Not sure what would be appropriate for a finial.  I don't have engraving experience so brass will be plain, at least for now, until i can practice and get comfortable with some of the basics. 

Thank you, as always, for the education.

Jamie

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
Re: "Early" Lancaster architecture
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 05:05:49 AM »
Rootsy,

You've pick a very good stock to begin from.  As far as architecture, there's not a better stock than Chamber's.  So, in that respect the architecture is already there.  So trust Jim's start.
 Where most beginners (myself included, and I've built well over 40 guns) the biggest mistake is usually, leaving too much wood.
The main areas for that sin, is the lock panels, wrist, and fore stock.
Most of the fore stock borders on original rifles is as low as 1/16" or less.  The barrel pins hold the wood to the barrel, not the barrel to the wood. 
The books you're talking about will help you in the shaping of these areas, whether the fore stock is triangular, or oval in shape, whether the wrist is taller than wide, etc, etc.
Your buttstock will already be basically shaped, and once it's taken down to the buttplate profile, you're pretty much where you need to be. But, it can already be slimmed a bit more.

Here's one I put together from one of Jim's kits a year or so ago.   Like I said, maintain  the over all architecture, and slim her down some, and you'll have a nice Early Lancaster to shoot for the rest of your life.

I can't tell you how many times, when I finished a gun, I realized I could have slimmed it down more.
Most of Haines work had 4 piece boxes, and some domed lids,  There are a lot of good, pre-made options available out there.  But if you want a wood box, put one on there.
Hope this helps.  Good luck.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 05:13:40 AM »
A  couple of dimensions for you. Wrist 1.5 inches high by 1.3 inches wide. Upper forestock width 1/8 each side of the barrel, 1/16 on lower.

My personal thought is if your going to use a brass patchbox take the time to learn some rudimentary engraving, or else go with wood. I think a brass box without any engraving looks unfinished. You can get gravers form a jewerly supply store and search the archives for Acer's tutorial on making your own. And practice.

For $20 dollars you can get the Moravian CD form the KRA which has 2 examples , Dickert and Albrecht's Lititz rifle. Both early Lancaster's with great pics. You can't even get pizza and a 6 pack for that.

One tip on the tang area. The wood between the sides of the tang and either the lock or side plate panel should be flat. Not rounded over.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 02:54:40 PM »
One tip on the tang area. The wood between the sides of the tang and either the lock or side plate panel should be flat. Not rounded over.
put a sraight edge on some originals and see what you find....
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?