Author Topic: A MuZZleloader Heirloom for Lori  (Read 3734 times)

Offline Herb

A MuZZleloader Heirloom for Lori
« on: November 16, 2015, 03:30:07 AM »
My Niece Lori wants a muzzleloader I built.  I got a set of parts off this website a couple of years ago and finished it up.  The parts included a .45 15/16" x 32" barrel with plug and tang fitted, an underrib and stock.  I modified the parts to what you see here.  Cut the stock forend off about two inches, spliced onto the underrib, fitted a lock and triggers.  The stain is Laurel Mountain Forge Lancaster Maple and the finish is Track of the Wolf Original Oil Finish.  Put it on and immediately wipe it off for a thin coat, about 10 of them.  I shot it with 35 grains of six different powders, none of which grouped very well.  Then with the same six and 70 grains (by weight, measured) of the same powders.  Changed the front sight to more nearly zero at 50 yards and shot these three targets.

I tested Alliant Black MZ and I like it.  The bore has a couple of rough lands (discovered by use of an endoscope/bore scope) and the patches tore on the first target. but it is a good group.  Notice the fouling shot is much lower in velocity, though in the group.

I filed the front sight down to raise the zero, too much, and used wool over powder wads on the second group.  Basically the same velocity, but not as accurate.  I don't know if the OPW affects the impact.

Next I used a 50 grain Goex 3F measure full of the AMZ, which actually weighs 47 grains, and the group dropped but is large.  I'll try 60 grains and see if that impacts at the top of the sight picture.

The buttstock.

The rear sight.  I hold the front sight centered in the hole and at six o'clock on the bar of the target.  This is the best target I have devised for consistency of aiming.

I have more information on relative velocities of the 35 and 70 grain charges of the six powders, but more later.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 07:13:28 AM by Herb »
Herb

Offline smylee grouch

Re: A MuZZleloader Heirloom for Lori
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2015, 06:47:35 AM »
Hi Herb, what barrel and twist rate is the gun made with?

Offline Herb

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2015, 07:25:37 AM »
I don't know the make, no marks on it.  It has eight wide lands and narrow grooves with a one in 60 rate of twist.
Herb

Offline Herb

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 12:42:10 AM »

« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 08:55:26 AM by Herb »
Herb

Offline Herb

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 12:52:50 AM »
I accidentally posted this before I got the captions on.  The first target 11/19 was 60 grains of weight-corrected measure of Alliant Black MZ.  Target 2 was 70 grains of same, with no over powder wad (OPW).  Target 3 had leather OPW, I being out of the wool ones.  It is faster than with no OPW, but the accuracy is probably the same.  On Target 4 I used Goex 3F for comparison, no OPW, and the first two patches blew.  Then I used the leather OPW.  Why some shots are so much faster I don't know, for the charges are within a few tenths of a grain of the same weight.  The last shot, the patch blew and the shot went wild.  This test was not for finding an accurate load, but just to find out how the Alliant Black MZ powder behaves.  I like it.
Herb

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2015, 07:05:57 AM »
That should make her a nice rifle. Just wondering why the thin patch?

Offline Herb

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2015, 07:52:06 AM »
Most people would call it .014, the ratchet reading on the micrometer.  This is the crush reading.  I started with it and it seemed to work, so I kept using it, with over powder wads.  It is too thin, but I did not have time to reshoot with thicker patches.
Herb