Author Topic: Crack in stock of Kentucky Flintlock  (Read 10273 times)

Offline bob in the woods

Re: Crack in stock of Kentucky Flintlock
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2015, 09:16:51 PM »
When I install wood bindings /purfling on my instruments, I now use CA glue and it is fantastic.
There is no need to "flex" or open the crack to accept the glue. My bindings are tight in there ledge and the CA wicks right in. I used to use Titebond , and wrap /clamp the body edges with rope, or elastic banding but there is no need to do that any longer. Simple. The less gap there is, the better the bond in my experience.

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2015, 10:15:52 PM »
I agree on CA glue.  Places like Tower Hobby have it as thin, medium, and thick.  They also have accelerator spray.  One spritz and the glue sets instantly.  I also gets very hot, it will burn you.  You could put some int he crack and spritz where is leaks out, plugging the hole.  You could then fill the crack further.  The instant set option is very handy for inletting errors.  Just put a drop of CA, hold the chip down with an object and spritz.  Done that fast. 

For real breaks and structural stuff I still use slow set epoxy and all thread made from machine screws.  Or sometimes real all thread If I have some handy.  I have also used a machine screw with a nut started on the threaded end.  That makes a steel dog bone that will never come apart once epoxied in place. 

Offline Collector

« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2015, 08:08:22 AM »
A very educational thread with in-depth observations, analysis, explanations and solutions.   

Thanks!

Offline Squirrel pizza

« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2015, 02:34:33 PM »
Just looking at the pictures can be deceiving, but by picture number two, with the erose edges, I don't believe that piece of wood was added. But I've been wrong before.

Offline RonC

« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2015, 07:17:12 PM »
I took the pistol to a gun maker here in the Denver metro area, Jack Brooks. It not only put the flintlock into capable hands, it also gave me the opportunity to meet a real gentleman and very fine gunmaker! Jack is a real artist for muzzleloaders and tomahawks!

Also, I learned a lot from him. He glued the crack and made some modifications to relieve stress in the area of the crack.

All in all, the crack turned out to have positive aspects in meeting Jack and seeing some of his work.
Ron
Ron

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2015, 07:53:04 PM »
Squirrel pizza.
 That's the best idea I have heard for a long time. I thought I knew everything.  Thanks.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline wmrike

« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2015, 07:56:17 PM »
In tight spots like that, consider a thin carbon rod from the hobby store.  They are incredibly tough.  Drill one or more small holes through the plane of the crack, fill with AcraGlass, and then insert the rod(s).  The ends of the rods sand or file easily.