Author Topic: 2nd build ordered  (Read 4841 times)

509thsfs

2nd build ordered
« on: November 19, 2015, 05:50:18 AM »
Finally placed my order for my 2nd build. Another TOTW Bedford County kit in .50 cal .  First build was a TOTW Bedford kit in .45 cal.  It came out pretty decent for a 1st time attempt, even with all the little mistakes. Started in last Feb and finished in July.  Looking forward to starting this next one soon.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 09:34:24 PM by 509thsfs »

Offline conquerordie

Re: 2 build ordered
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 07:05:59 AM »
It's addictive. I want to keep everything I build, but if I don't try to sell something I can't afford parts! Good luck and make sure you post pics when it's done.
Greg

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 04:38:43 PM »
ALL builds have mistakes. The trick is learning how to recover.

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2015, 05:22:32 PM »
 percussion or flint?

Offline conquerordie

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2015, 09:20:57 PM »
ALL builds have mistakes. The trick is learning how to recover.

Words to live by

509thsfs

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2015, 09:31:02 PM »
percussion or flint?

Flint. I'm a Rockhead.  Though I may do a capgun in the future. Or possibly a convertable version. That is a ways down the road yet

Offline flinchrocket

Re: 2nd build ordered
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2015, 10:23:07 PM »
Apparently you like that lock enough to get another. That's what I was wondering about. Good luck on
your build.

Offline GANGGREEN

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2015, 12:04:38 AM »
It's addictive. I want to keep everything I build, but if I don't try to sell something I can't afford parts! Good luck and make sure you post pics when it's done.
Greg

I'm in exactly the same position.  I already sold an old CVA Hawken to buy parts for one build and I have an RMC Accusporter for sale on a couple of sites, but now I'm considering selling a .36 halfstock that I built or a .62 fowler, also my own.  I need and want parts for upcoming projects but the thought of selling these (even if they aren't perfect) is tough to take.   Geez.....

thimble rig

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2015, 01:55:38 AM »
Yep building flintlocks is vary addictive.But if you learn to make a lot of the parts yourself it saves a lot of money it takes longer to do.If youre luckey enough to have a shop to work in you could make yourself a small forge and forge out iron parts.I just live in a s small apartment and my kitchen is my work shop.so I cant do a lot of that stuff that I would like to do.

509thsfs

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2015, 02:25:10 AM »
My next plan for my small shop is to find a bandsaw that is small enough to fit in the shop yet big enough to do the work I need done. Then I can buy and work on stock blanks. Save a lot of money on the wood.  Also saw a nice stand alone work bench at Dixon's gun builders fair this year that I would like to build. Would be nice to be able to walk around my work.

509thsfs

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2015, 02:41:57 AM »
Parts came in a couple weeks ago and I started it a bit.  Pic of my basement shop. Sure as heck won't be this neat as I get further into the build haha. The fun has begun however.  Barrel on the right being draw filed. Stock on the left waiting for barrel and tang to be inlet (which are done now). Next task is to cut dovetails for barrel lugs and inlet them.