Author Topic: Isn't it pretty?  (Read 7160 times)

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
Isn't it pretty?
« on: November 26, 2015, 03:22:08 AM »
Isn't this pretty?   I know it isn't the best inlet in the world, but it is a lot better than some other work you will actually see.   Doesn't seem fair does it?  :D

Offline retired fella

Re: Isn't it pretty?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2015, 03:28:40 AM »
Nice job Mark.  Mine always looks like a beaver chewed on it.

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2015, 03:37:03 AM »
Sorry, I was looking at the background!
Part bin filled with finished parts, ready for mounting. I like the organization, I can't keep it together so nice but I really appreciate seeing reality and not just theory.
Nice inlet too.
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline Mark Elliott

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2015, 04:47:28 AM »
Burnt,

I usually complete all the mounts ready to inlet before starting the stocking.   That usually amounts to at least half the build time, if not more. 

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2015, 04:49:17 AM »
You're waaaay too anal on that inlet.

I do a similar style. Because it pleases me.

I think the late English work(long range rifles, shotguns, big game guns) has the most beautiful inletting in the world. But you seldom see that in American work.

Anyone have pictures of a Jacob Kuntz high art gun lock inlet? I've got photos of the OUTSIDES of his guns, but not the inside work.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2015, 05:20:20 AM »
Very clean . Shows the amount of care you put into your work. Sadly really thought my woodchuck was doing a good job too! On the serious side wished mine were that good!

Offline PPatch

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2015, 05:26:37 AM »
Did someone say a beaver chewed their lock inlet? Got the same problem.

Mark; Are you sure that front lock bolt cleared the ramrod channel?  ;) Nice inlet.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2015, 04:21:08 PM »
Nothing wrong with that Mark. Mine look similar, I take out most of the wood with a 3/8" (or is it 1/4"?) Forestner bit on my drill press.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2015, 05:22:58 PM »
nice work,I would think one should take pride on the insides as well as the outside of their craft even if it's not going to be seen.Seen more than a few posts here when folks had originals taken apart and positive comments about the good craftsmanship on the things not seen.My inlets are a little rough but quess if ya want to get real anal about things a little sand paper can help ;D

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2015, 06:47:34 PM »
nice work,I would think one should take pride on the insides as well as the outside of their craft even if it's not going to be seen.Seen more than a few posts here when folks had originals taken apart and positive comments about the good craftsmanship on the things not seen.My inlets are a little rough but quess if ya want to get real anal about things a little sand paper can help ;D
I think all of the KY rifles I have had apart were pretty rough on the inside.
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2015, 07:07:23 PM »
yup seen some real rough ones too,but some where pretty clean also.Quess it depends on the builder and how busy he was.

Offline Mark Elliott

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2015, 08:56:42 PM »
You're waaaay too anal on that inlet.

I do a similar style. Because it pleases me.

I think the late English work(long range rifles, shotguns, big game guns) has the most beautiful inletting in the world. But you seldom see that in American work.

Anyone have pictures of a Jacob Kuntz high art gun lock inlet? I've got photos of the OUTSIDES of his guns, but not the inside work.

The thing is,  I really didn't spend that much time on it.   I am just trying to be neat.    Sadly,  my planes are tearing out wood right and left on the ouside due to the figure.    It is really quite distressing.    I am having to go back to rasps to clean up.  

« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 08:57:20 PM by Mark Elliott »

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2015, 11:12:47 PM »
Looks good to me!
Here's the first one I've done, since the last one I did back in 1981. Darn walnut sure chips out easily!

And true, having the inside of a gun look as good as the outside is a modern day requirement. I'd bet the old boys would laugh their butts off at all the attention paid to the areas that aren't seen!

John

John Robbins

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2015, 11:25:59 PM »
I wish I had taken photos of the lock mortise on my Henry Holmes English fowler that I used to own. I don't mean any disrespect but I haven't seen anything close to what that one looked like even after 200 years of use.

The lock fit like a glove. I don't know how it could have been a closer fit.
Dennis
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 11:26:54 PM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2015, 01:06:49 AM »
I wish I had taken photos of the lock mortise on my Henry Holmes English fowler that I used to own. I don't mean any disrespect but I haven't seen anything close to what that one looked like even after 200 years of use.

The lock fit like a glove. I don't know how it could have been a closer fit.
Dennis
Yep, I have owned some english guns over the years that were incredible. You don't see that quality in KY rifles.

JCurtiss

« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2015, 01:54:56 AM »
Indeed, your lock inlet looks great!

How much distance did you leave between the OD of your touch hole bushing and the end of your barrel plug?

Thanks

Jason

Offline Mark Elliott

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2015, 04:23:58 AM »
Indeed, your lock inlet looks great!

How much distance did you leave between the OD of your touch hole bushing and the end of your barrel plug?

Thanks

Jason

1/32", but it is a 1/2" long plug and a 3/8" liner.   Also the Germanic plate have a short distance from a the fence to the center of the pan.

JCurtiss

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2015, 01:32:16 AM »
OK, I see. Thanks!

Jason