Author Topic: Score! Fresh from the sawmill  (Read 10476 times)

Willbarq

Re: Score! Fresh from the sawmill
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2015, 09:35:26 AM »
I saw a video today on U-tube and they cut stock blanks out with a chain saw. Then cleaned up with a bandsaw. It just reminded me of another set of posts on this.

Willbarq

« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2015, 09:38:05 AM »
This was the Davide Pedersoli factory in Italy! :)

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2015, 04:30:38 PM »
I saw a video today on U-tube and they cut stock blanks out with a chain saw. Then cleaned up with a bandsaw. It just reminded me of another set of posts on this.
That's they way I have always done it.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2015, 05:32:29 PM »
I have a big downed walnut in the woods below my house and was planning to try to cut a few stock blanks out of it with my chainsaw. It has a nice sized crotch in it so I thought that would be what I went after first. I planned my attack then decided to look up cutting crotch wood stock blanks. Turns out my original plan would have made a mess of things.

Modern gunstocks are pictured in this tutorial so delete if necessary but it does show the right way to get the best crotch wood cut for gun stocks.

http://www.forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=66491.0
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 05:33:04 PM by Eric Krewson »