Author Topic: Muzzleloader Magazine Youth Gunbuilding Scholarship  (Read 7831 times)

Offline Ian Pratt

Muzzleloader Magazine Youth Gunbuilding Scholarship
« on: August 24, 2015, 12:22:19 AM »
 From our friend Jason Gatliff at the Muzzleloader Magazine website :

Dear Readers,
 We all know that our hobby needs more young people. To that purpose I was inspired to create the “MUZZLELOADER Magazine Youth Gunbuilding Scholarship.” This will be an annual scholarship to the gunbuilding class offered by Jim Kibler and Ian Pratt, it is a seven day workshop held at Canter’s Cave 4-H Camp in Jackson, Ohio. The class will be held in January, 16th through 22nd 2016.

The scholarship will cover the cost of the class as well as meals and lodging at Canter’s Cave for the duration of the class. Additionally the required materials, lock, stock, and barrel will be donated for this scholarship, so aside from travel to and from Canter’s Cave there will be no out of pocket expense for the recipient. I would like to thank Jim Chambers at Jim Chambers Flintlocks for donating the lock, Michael Barton at Tiger Hunt for donating the stock blank, Jason Schneider at Rice Barrels for donating the barrel, and Jim Kibler for his donation of time to inlet the barrel into the stock blank.

To be eligible for the scholarship, applicants must be between the ages of 18 and 25 and must send in an essay about their interest in muzzleloading and gunbuilding. Please use the essay to answer the following questions: "Are you involved in the muzzleloader culture presently?, what have you done or what are you involved in now, what are you present and future goals, why would you be a good candidate for the scholarship?" The deadline for the essays will be November 1st, 2015 and the winner will be announced on December 1st, 2015 and listed in the January/February 2016 issue. We do ask that you only apply if you are serious about taking the class and can devote seven days to attending as well as provide your own travel.

To find out how to apply for the scholarship, and for information on how to donate to the scholarship fund, go to the Muzzleloader Magazine site  -  

http://www.muzzleloadermagazine.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=16

For more information on our gun building class at Canter's Cave, plus others offered there including Making a Folding Knife with Rich McDonald, Knife making with Hershel and John House and Willie White, and Hunting Pouch and Knife Sheath making with Jeanne McDonald and Maryellen Pratt, contact Joe Mcgee at :

Joe McGee - Seminar Coordinator
 PO Box 504,
 Batavia, OH 45103
 Phone: 513-707-8362
 Cell: 513-313-1111
 Email: JBMArchtxt@yahoo.com
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 03:43:53 PM by Ian Pratt »

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
Re: Muzzleloader Magazine Youth Gunbuilding Scholarship
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 12:32:38 AM »
I am making this a 'sticky' so that everyone has a chance to see it. Please pass it along to your gun clubs, friends, anyone who has a young one interested in gun building.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 01:46:37 AM »
This is great!   Jason, both Jims, Ian, and Michael are are to be commended for this effort. 

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 09:36:57 PM »
Anyone know a young person who can take advantage of this program?

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 10:44:01 PM »
May I suggest that you copy the above info and send it to your favorite gun club?

Spread the word for this great offer!

Offline GANGGREEN

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 12:41:20 AM »
Anyone know a young person who can take advantage of this program?

I have two sons that occasionally watch me build or help out (the younger one seems more interested than his older brother).  Unfortunately for them, the older one will be in college at the time and couldn't afford to miss class.  The younger son is only 17 and will be in the thick of his varsity wrestling season then (he's a senior and has some lofty goals).  Too bad though because it sounds like a great opportunity and a very generous offer.

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2015, 04:17:32 AM »
This certainly is a very generous offer these gentlemen have made and I'm sure some worthy young person will come forward. What an opportunity this is.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Ric27

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2015, 05:26:06 PM »
My work with Jason @ ML has been a great experience. He is totally committed to the Longrifle culture, has put his money where his mouth is and is always ready to pitch in do more than expected. I think we can look forward to seeing a lot of good things from him for a long time to come. 

Ric

Willbarq

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2015, 07:27:42 AM »
I have honestly been trying to think of someone, who might be interested. I guess I need to expand my circles. I am 42 otherwise I'd give it a whirl.

Offline Ian Pratt

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2015, 04:51:57 AM »
I just wanted to thank those who have sent their essays in and those who are donating to next year's youth scholarship. Also, a reminder to anybody else who may be interested in entering that the deadline for essays to be turned in is November 1st. The winner will be announced as indicated previously, and we'll be sure to post some pictures here after the class in January.   

Vomitus

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2015, 10:47:53 PM »
   I'm 2 years into my second childhood. Does that count?  :)

Offline b bogart

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2015, 05:22:58 PM »
Am I too old Ian??

Offline Ian Pratt

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2015, 09:15:48 PM »
Too old for what?

LB, the 2nd childhood thing isn't gonna fly - but there may be a loophole if we can figure out a way to factor in the exchange rate. I'll see if I can find the calculator and I'll get back to you. 

Offline Dale Campbell

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2015, 09:25:54 PM »
Don't forget he's gonna be in metric.
Best regards,
Dale

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2015, 05:33:39 PM »
An update on the youth scholarship  -  the lucky winner of the scholarship is Noah Miller of Kentucky. I spoke with Noah on the phone today, he was very happy to have been selected and is looking forward to attending the class. We discussed his project a little bit; as a first timer in the class he'll be building a fairly simple "working man's gun" which will allow Ian and I to teach as many of the fundamentals as possible in the short week that we have to work with him.
  Thanks again to Jason Gatliff and to everybody who has donated parts for Noah's gun project. We'll be posting class photos next month, stay tuned  

« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 02:25:40 AM by Jim Kibler »

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2015, 07:50:56 AM »
Thank you Jim and Jason for your efforts.