Author Topic: trigger and lock  (Read 3691 times)

Brian Bussard

trigger and lock
« on: March 19, 2009, 08:45:26 PM »
First off, moderators,if this thread needs to be moved, by all means please do so. The gun is already built so I didnt think it needed to be in the gunbuilding section.

I have a .54 with a Siler lock and double set triggers (tricker). I can't get the flint to stay at full cock without first setting the set trigger. I have not yet taken the lock off nor dropped the trigger yet as alot of this is still new to me.

I guess my question is, what should I be looking for once I do take the lock out? Since I am still green when it comes to working on locks and triggers and such I dont want to pull the lock and then not be able to get everything back in where it is supposed to go.....

Thanks in advance for putting up with novices like me....

Offline Roger Fisher

Re: trigger and lock
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 09:21:07 PM »
Your sear is pressing against the trikker bar too hard.  More than one way to skin this cat.  Depending on the sett trigger in that rifle you can adjust the tension by backing off (slightly) the screw that attaches the large spring on the sett trikker.  Suggest do that first.  If you give it too much slack it may not pop the sear out of the full draw notch.

Another thing to do is file/stone the spot on the trikker bar that contacts the sear arm fit try fit try.   Sear arm can be stoned and smoothed where it contacts the trikker bar - this should not be necessary.

Let us know how it goes.!     Some rifles were built so you Had to sett the trikker before firing the rifle. 
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 09:26:42 PM by Roger Fisher »

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 11:00:04 PM »
Some triggers are meant to work this way. If the front trigger has a bar to trip the sear, its as Roger says. If there is no bar on the front trigger, you must set the trigger first.Go to (www.trackofthewolf.com )and look up and study their single lever double set trigger and their double lever double set trigger to see the difference.

Offline Scott Bumpus

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 01:37:22 AM »
The set trigger bar is sitting too high and holding the lock sear up not letting the lock go to full cock.  As mentioned you can sometimes adjust the screws on the trigger assembly to corrrect this.  More often than not the bar on the set trigger will need to be ground down to allow clearance.  Take the lock out and look into the hole at the back and you should see this bar sticking up into the area where the sear bar sticks down, this will give you an idea how much needs removing. 
YOU CAN ONLY BE LOST IF YOU GIVE A @!*% WHERE THE $#*! YOU ARE!!

caliber45

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 02:56:37 AM »
I've had the same problem. I don't bolt through tang to trigger plate; just screw tang (and trigger plate) into the stock. Solved the too-close trigger bar situation by removing trigger plate and placing a small leather "washer" under the trigger plate at the rear screw, effectively separating the trigger bar and sear a tad. Worked fine; still does. Easy fix, and nobody knows unless they dismantle. - paul

Brian Bussard

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 04:08:41 PM »
Guys, thanks for all of the responses so far....this is the type of info I was looking for. Having never taken the lock off, I am not sure I would have known what to look for without at least a basic idea of how it was supposed to all work together....

Your patience with such a green horn as myself is awesome.....

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 04:50:40 PM »
I've had the same problem. I don't bolt through tang to trigger plate; just screw tang (and trigger plate) into the stock. Solved the too-close trigger bar situation by removing trigger plate and placing a small leather "washer" under the trigger plate at the rear screw, effectively separating the trigger bar and sear a tad. Worked fine; still does. Easy fix, and nobody knows unless they dismantle. - paul
Sure that works,.  I recall a lolt of yrs ago I shimmed the plate with a cut out piece from a cci cap box cardboard.  Real fancy like  ::)