Author Topic: Pistol buttcap retaining pin  (Read 3372 times)

Offline conquerordie

Pistol buttcap retaining pin
« on: February 06, 2016, 07:21:51 PM »
I'm currently building a flintlock pistol that will have the spurred buttcap. In letting is going to be interesting. My question is how does the grotesque face mask retaining pin work? It's from MBS. It's a cap with flat shank protruding up into the stock. I know where it goes, but not how to put it on. Thanks for any help.
Greg

Offline gunmaker

• the old dog gunmaker
Re: Pistol buttcap retaining pin
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 07:42:24 PM »
a pin or screw in from under the guard rear extension is one way....pics  soon ?

Offline conquerordie

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 09:00:41 PM »
Gunmaker,
That's what I was wondering. Maybe the rear screw in the triggerguard is a machine screw that catch the  retaining pin? Originals look like they we're almost decorative nails. The shanks look like they we're just driven on like a nail. I just finished on letting the barrel so I'm into the lock now. Ill try to post a pic later when I'm home. Keep the ideas coming.
Greg

Online D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2016, 10:40:48 PM »
That retaining wedge is usually held with a tapered cross pin entering from the trigger guard spur inlet.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline conquerordie

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2016, 11:28:34 PM »
Ok so a pin is driven from the triggerguard inlet to hold the retaining wedge in place. The tiggerguard then covers the pin, so is it pinned down low on the wedge closer to the butt itself, or higher up. If it's higher up, it would penetrate through the stock in order to drive it out? Anybody have a picture? I'm currently searching the web for such pic, just haven't found it yet. Thanks again,
Greg

Offline conquerordie

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2016, 11:43:00 PM »
I just found an old post from 2013 about this subject. Looks like a wood screw from the triggerguard inlet  through the wedge at a downward angle. Of I have to take it off, just remove the triggerguard and take that wood screw out. The retaining wedge then comes off, and I can remove the buttcap. Does this sound correct? Thanks,
Greg

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2016, 12:44:13 AM »
Hi Greg,
On many English pistols, the pommel was anchored in place by a wood screw that attached the pommel to the stock from the bottom.  It was located next to the slot for the butt cap and counter sunk even with the surface flat of the pommel.  Then the cap was placed on top to cover the pommel flat and wood screw and it was held in place as Taylor described.  The butt cap was not the primary anchor for the pommel, rather it was the covered wood screw. 

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Dave B

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2016, 01:32:24 AM »
Just like what they have said here is an original dutch pistol with what you need.

Dave Blaisdell

Offline Dave B

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2016, 01:42:24 AM »
Just make sure you only drill  to touch the inlet blade for the nail so you can center punch slightly shorter for the drill hole. You want it to draw the nail blade tight to the butt cap  as your cross pin screw is driven deeper. If your not careful the pommel nail will be loose other wise.

Dave Blaisdell

Offline conquerordie

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2016, 02:12:21 AM »
Dave,

That's the post I was looking at. So the one screw holds the retaining wedge, but the buttcap is actually held on with a screw that is hidden under the cap of the retaining wedge. Both screws are hidden from view. Shouldn't be too hard to accomplish. I'm photographing each step as I build this pistol so I'll post th3m when it's compete. You've all been a huge help,
Greg