Author Topic: Could use some help with tow kit  (Read 3795 times)

Offline lost arrow 801

Could use some help with tow kit
« on: February 05, 2016, 02:28:46 AM »
Hello everyone . So I just received   my J.P. Beck longrifle  kit from track of  the  wolf. Is the breach plug tang supposed  to  be  that wide (it half inch) or do I need to slim it up some. The stock came with the tang inlet  for about a 7/16th.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Could use some help with tow kit
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2016, 02:33:02 AM »
It should be as wide as the top flat of the barrel.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2016, 05:16:19 AM »
I would think as wide as the top flat too on the barrel end of the tang but flaired wider somewhat on the but end of the tang.

Offline M. E. Pering

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 05:21:38 AM »
Like Mike Brooks said, it should be as wide as the top flat of the barrel where the breech plug tang meets the barrel.  Looking at some photos of original Becks, I have notice that he often had a flair to his tangs.  This is probably why TOW sent you a wide tang, in case you wanted to emulate this feature.  J. P. Beck also sometimes shaped the end of the tang into a decorative shape, but his stock architecture didn't really change over the years.  

As far as the stock inlet goes, that should be undersized, to allow you to do the final inletting of the tang and plug.  If it is like most kits I have seen, it should be significantly undersized.

Matt

Offline Karl Kunkel

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2016, 05:22:37 AM »
You need to remove the breech plug and finish inletting the breech end of the barrel. They leave the tang inlet undersized so you can shape the tang if you wish.  Reinstall the breech plug, and inlet the the tang.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 05:23:23 AM by Karl Kunkel »
Kunk

Offline frogwalking

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2016, 07:09:44 AM »
Mike,  He needs your how to build a longrifle tutorial.  I cannot find it to give him the URL.
Quality, schedule, price; Pick any two.

Offline Karl K.

• Starting Member

Offline Bill Ladd

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2016, 04:08:56 PM »
Dang. I'd forgotten how thorough Mike's write-up is. I need to print out & bind that to have next to my bench - if I ever get back to my bench.

Offline lost arrow 801

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2016, 02:53:58 AM »
Great  tutorial mike. I've been drooling  over your work for awhile now ,when are you going  to  write us neophytes   a book ?

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2016, 04:00:22 PM »
Great  tutorial mike. I've been drooling  over your work for awhile now ,when are you going  to  write us neophytes   a book ?
Thanks guys. That was all of everything I ever knew..... ;)  No book in the future, I'm trying to gear down, not take on more these days.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2016, 05:12:09 PM »
Don't gear down too much; you'll rust up.