Author Topic: Lehigh ramrod size  (Read 1973 times)

Offline Dan Fruth

• D Fruth Flintlocker
Lehigh ramrod size
« on: February 05, 2016, 08:31:30 PM »
I'm tooling up to build an early Peter Neihart and need to know the typical Lehigh ramrod size....I normally use 3 size thimbles for a tapered rod. I plan to use a rear entry of .350 ID, middle pipe of .375 ID and the muzzle pipe slightly larger, maybe .390 ID.....Anyone know details from original Lehigh pieces would be helpful....By the way, my barrel is 45", 1" breech and 50 cal.......Thanks ....Dan
The old Quaker, "We are non-resistance friend, but ye are standing where I intend to shoot!"

Offline smylee grouch

Re: Lehigh ramrod size
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2016, 08:40:51 PM »
I would think you would have to tapper the rod to fit the pipes.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2016, 10:18:21 PM »
For a rifle of that calibre and length barrel, I think you have made a good choice of rod size.  I'd start with a blank that was 7/16" and taper it to fit your pipes.  From the entry pipe aft' keep the rod at .350", as long as it fits the rod hole.  I think 5/16" is a little light for a .50 cal.  I load using the small end to push the ball down the bore.  So once it's started, the bore supports the flimsy rod to some degree.  I still choke up on the rod and load in about 6 - 8" strokes, with my tight combinations.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Dan Fruth

• D Fruth Flintlocker
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 11:34:20 PM »
Thanks for the reply. From what I have read, these Lehigh guns used small rods, and I don't want to use too large a rod and detract from the sleekness of the piece....Dan
The old Quaker, "We are non-resistance friend, but ye are standing where I intend to shoot!"

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2016, 06:40:38 PM »
A Neihart is not generally a real skinny, delicate gun, so you should be ok.  Keep your web thin, and even taper it as well, and it should help keep the girth down.
In His grip,

Dane