Author Topic: Tang screw alignment on my gpr  (Read 4485 times)

Bbell

Tang screw alignment on my gpr
« on: April 06, 2016, 01:29:51 AM »
Posted an issue with my tang straightening and you guys helped me out so here is another. I am building a gpr and decided to straighten the tang like seen here a lot. I finally got it the way I want and started to inlet into the stock. That part went good. When I went to put the wood screw and tang bolt in they don't line up right. Makes sense when I realized what happened but never thought about it because I never saw it mentioned in all the gpr build threads I have read. What would be the best way to remedy this? I tried a search and just wasn't finding what I needed. Here are some pics.

Offline T*O*F

Re: Tang screw alignment on my gpr
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 01:36:36 AM »
If you are talking about the front screw matching a hole in the trigger plate, you will have to weld the holes up and redrill them correctly.  If the wood screw is off, just plug the hole with a dowel and install the wood screw at the proper angle.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 01:50:26 AM »
Was the tang hole pre-drilled in the stock? If so, does the hole in the tang line up with the hole in the
stock? Looks like the tang is pushing the tang bolt forward.

Offline PPatch

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 02:16:11 AM »
Bbell you might check that tang again, from the photograph it looks kind of flat in between the screw holes, in other words it does not seem to have a graceful curve that follows your stock. The photo might be lying though...  ::)

dave
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 02:16:43 AM by PPatch »
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2016, 02:26:19 AM »
thinking the same thing PPatch,looks flat from here too.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2016, 02:34:14 AM »
I concur...you've straightened the tang too much!  It should not be flat between the holes, otherwise your wrist is going to look awkward (at best).  Re-bend the tang, and inlet a block of wood in the inlet...then re-inlet the tang.  To straighten the screw, Dave has it right.  Drill out the hole, glue in a dowel, and then re-drill at the correct angle.  But do the other part first.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Bbell

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2016, 03:09:08 AM »
Awgh! This is my first and I have been having a heck of a time. I will put some bend back in, glue wood back in, and re-inlet it. I was having troubles looking at pictures seeing how much people flattened it out. Anybody got a side view of a Lyman tang before and after bending it? So the bend I put back in should be between the screws holes correct? Any ideas on a rough amount that I should bend it? Am I close or need move it a fair amount? Thanks for all the help guys.

Offline Kevin Houlihan

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2016, 04:28:51 AM »
Bend the tang so that it has the same basic curve as the stock does but ends up just below the surface. That way you can take off wood down to the top of the tang and the whole area will have a gentle curve with no flat spots. 

Offline Daryl

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2016, 04:55:44 AM »
Nor humps like on their inlet.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Bbell

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2016, 05:42:49 AM »
Ok that makes sense. Will take awhile but I will update kinda as I go. Thanks again everybody for your help.

Offline frogwalking

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2016, 04:45:58 PM »
Be very careful in correcting the bend as the tang will naturally tend to bend easier at the screw holes.  If bent too much at these locations, the tang can break there.   
Quality, schedule, price; Pick any two.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2016, 06:14:08 PM »

I don't have a before and after picture of the tang, but the one above shows one I did several years ago.  The GPR tang has two little bevels along the sides of the tang.  If you bend the tang so that those get filed away leaving the tang flat you'll have it.  Start bending the tang right behind the 'break-off', and make the bend nice and gentle.  The problem with the stock tang is that it is straight and flat well back behind the first screw hole.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

JB2

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2016, 10:04:54 PM »
You're doing fine, and it always takes more than one try to get it.  And you're doing the right thing by asking, and getting some great help.  Nothing wrong with going slow and trying to get it better. 

Oh, and do I see wood chips and shavings from your stock?  I'd be tempted to save all of those in a ziplock baggie.  You'll pat yourself on the back later for doing it;)