Author Topic: Allan Foundary  (Read 6686 times)

patkinson

Allan Foundary
« on: April 20, 2016, 01:46:53 AM »
Does anyone know how to contact Peter Allan Foundary?  I am trying to find out if he is about to ship his next shipment of T/C Seneca style breech plugs( 13/16  5/8 X18) Thanks   Phil

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Re: Allan Foundary
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 02:22:30 AM »
I just sent you a PM
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Don Stith

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 01:42:54 PM »
I'd think it would be more productive to contact the outfit that ordered them from Pete. They are your supplier..

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 03:10:15 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Pete had retired from the foundry and it is now under the management of his daughter.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Don Stith

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 03:22:48 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Pete had retired from the foundry and it is now under the management of his daughter.
You have a PM

Offline FlintFan

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2016, 05:08:41 PM »
I'd think it would be more productive to contact the outfit that ordered them from Pete. They are your supplier..

And they are supplied by Pete, and are nothing more than a middle man in the chain.  That is one of the big problems of our hobby, too few (or too small) suppliers for too many retailers.  Everyone is playing the same waiting game. 

Offline Don Stith

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2016, 06:46:02 PM »
Would you call the lumberjack to see when Lowes will have a supply of 2X4's?
 That just takes up his time and keeps him from cutting trees.
 Because of the relatively small cottage industry where we know who the individuals are; does not mean we should ignore the traditional supplier/manufacturer to retailer to customer roles.

Offline FlintFan

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2016, 06:59:43 PM »
Would you call the lumberjack to see when Lowes will have a supply of 2X4's?
 That just takes up his time and keeps him from cutting trees.
 Because of the relatively small cottage industry where we know who the individuals are; does not mean we should ignore the traditional supplier/manufacturer to retailer to customer roles.

No, just pointing out that complaining to "Lowes" won't do anything and wastes their time as well, which only leads to higher markups in their end. 

Maybe if more end users directly contacted the "lumberjack" it would get the point across that he needs to hire more help to meet demand, or at the very least off load some of the work to someone else that could keep up. 

Offline Don Stith

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2016, 07:42:28 PM »
Perhaps I need to go to a greater degree of absurdity to reach you. By your logic, the guy that wants a toothpick has more influence than the dealer that wants 40 acres of timber cut, dried, and processed into boards.

Offline FlintFan

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2016, 08:12:50 PM »
Perhaps I need to go to a greater degree of absurdity to reach you. By your logic, the guy that wants a toothpick has more influence than the dealer that wants 40 acres of timber cut, dried, and processed into boards.

I think we crossed the line of absurdity when you presented the hypothetical about the lumberjack and Lowes, (and now toothpicks for some reason) which I was foolish enough to play along with.  Apparently I was too obscure in my response for you to understand. 

We are not talking about 2X4's and Lowes, we are talking about the Allen Foundry and the failures in their output.  The Allen foundry was once a very prolific supplier of muzzleloading gun parts for the entire trade.  Unfortunately, for many and varied reasons (which will not be discussed here), they are not able to keep up with demand.  Complaining to one of the many retailers, who have gone blue in the face trying to get them to increase output over the years, will not have any impact.   Been there, done that.  The only way to have any leverage with them is to contact them directly as an end user. 

As you know, shooting waxes is not the same as cutting 2x4's or making toothpicks.  Some molds are much more temperamental, and yield low dollar parts, and some are easy to run with high dollar parts per wax.  The pain in the butt waxes with low dollar pay off, don't get run nearly as much as the high profit, easy ones.  That is just human nature.  When there is poor management in the production line, there are molds that get run rarely or not at all leading to horrendous wait times.  The OP was wondering about when a breech plug for a TC Seneca was going to be made.  I can guarantee you that is a mold that will not be run more than every couple years, if ever again.  A retailer is not going to risk an already tenuous relationship with a supplier to try and leverage for a obscure part, that has probably already been on order for years. 

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2016, 08:27:07 PM »
I have a t/c Seneca breech plug with 5/8-18 treads that I will probably never use if you want it.
I just checked and also have a t/c breechplug wrench for Seneca and also one for 15/16 barrel.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 08:34:55 PM by flinchrocket »

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2016, 09:02:37 PM »
Is there some way I can get into this?...... ;D
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline FlintFan

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2016, 10:02:58 PM »
Is there some way I can get into this?...... ;D

As entertaining as that always is (and looked forward too), I think flinchrocket presented the best solution to the OP's problem. 

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2016, 10:34:07 PM »
It's easy to knock someone when you don't know their circumstances.  Some of you think you have a sense of entitlement when it comes to ordering YOUR parts.  My solution is if you don't like the service, start your own company because you seem to know exactly what is needed.  It's America, the land of opportunity.  Here's a golden opportunity staring you in the face.  GO FOR IT!!
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline FlintFan

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2016, 10:43:51 PM »
It's easy to knock someone when you don't know their circumstances. 

Actually I do, and as I had already mentioned, this forum is not the place to discuss it. 

And as to your last point, I'm way ahead of you.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2016, 10:58:27 PM »
And as to your last point, I'm way ahead of you.
Good, then your head will be on the chopping block down the road.

The Rifle Shoppe and Allan are both run by aged individuals who would probably like to get shed of their businesses and enjoy their golden years.  Baxter used to supply a goodly number of casting for the industry and he got out.  I don't think anyone took over his business.  Where will we be if they all decide to throw in the towel?  Some young people need to get involved to provide some continuity.

Young folks stepped in to buy L&R and Davis lock companies.  Not so many years ago, there was a long wait for barrels.  A number of new start-ups occurred to fill that gap.  If the parts casting business goes down the tubes. it will probably be a greater loss than either of the above.
Dave Kanger

-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2016, 11:51:12 PM »
Why not just make the breech plug?
Psalms 144

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2016, 03:02:49 PM »
A number of people have a lathe and fewer have a milling machine and even fewer have the experience needed to make a breech plug. Casting is the only practical way to make these oddly shaped items and finding a foundry that will take on short run projects is getting harder. With a breech plug,there are things involved that don't apply to hammers,frizzens,cocks or lock plates. An alloy like 8620 is a good one because it can be case hardened without risking hardness all the way through.It's also good for all parts except frizzens which IMHO should be 52-100,bearing steel.
My rant for 4-21-16.

Bob Roller

Offline Don Stith

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2016, 11:20:06 PM »
Bob
 You probably know this, but for the benefit of others; The casting is just the first step in a patent breech. You still need a lathe with a special  holding fixture to thread the plug. Then you have to  drill and thread for the nipple and drill to connect the two channels.  Not just a matter of sending a wax to the foundry.

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2016, 12:55:28 AM »
Why is it that folks nowadays have that microwave mentality when it comes to products these days?Gota have it today!why can't you hire more people, put on another shift.Perhaps they are right where they want to be.Just because you have more employees making more widgets does not necessarily mean more profit.Perhaps he's content to just be busy enough and quality outways just putting product on the street.First ones to complain about wallmarts cheap stuff too I bet,but you didn't have to wait for it!