Author Topic: Percussion Hawken  (Read 5465 times)

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Percussion Hawken
« on: April 10, 2016, 02:52:42 AM »
This rifle is the subject of much of what I posted in "Hawken Stuff".  There are several things I like about this rifle - even more than my own.  One is the length of the barrel.  This is a Rice .62 cal tapered from 1 1/8" to 1" at the muzzle, over a length of 36".  right off the bat, because my own rifle is so heavy at full length, I bobbed this one at 33".  where my rifle is nearly 12 pounds, this one is an even 9 pounds, and it was all off the muzzle.
Also, I gave this rifle a much nicer wrist area, making it a lot 'finer' and better feeling in the hand.  I put sling swivels and a strong leather sling on my personal Hawken, but I think this one doesn't need it.  I'm looking forward to shooting this rifle...perhaps Monday this week.

Notice in the above image that the lock sits at a definite incline.  this is not an accident...many original rifles bear this feature.  It has to do with getting the rear end of the lock in the middle of the wrist, and greatly affects the relationship of the hammer to the nipple.

Many of these images appear to be quite dark.  It's the rifle.  This one came out very dark, yet the curl is prominent, especially outside in the sunshine.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 03:09:55 AM by D. Taylor Sapergia »
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline sqrldog

Re: Percussion Hawken
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 03:09:11 AM »
Taylor that is a really nice Hawken rifle. Sam and Jake would be proud of you. Tim

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016, 02:42:39 PM »
Again very nicely done,at nine pounds it will make a fine hunter.After seeing it side by side with your other it should be a quick handlerer as well after slimming it down like the flintlock version.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 02:52:04 PM by Joe S. »

Online Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2016, 03:39:57 PM »
 Wonderful rifle, very clean lines and the metal finish looks perfect. One question;  What is the cap made of, almost looks like horn?

Thanks, Tim C.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2016, 04:04:31 PM »
Well done. I actually like these guns when they are done as well as you do them. I actually built one or two myself back in the day. :o
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

• Member 3
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2016, 05:43:58 PM »
Thanks guys.  Tim:  the nose cap is a steel casting from MBS. 
D. Taylor Sapergia

Hemo

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2016, 05:57:50 PM »
Beautiful, clean job! I have a couple of questions though--maybe you addressed these already in your earlier thread.
Is the silver material filling the rib at the muzzle solder? If so, is the entire rib filled with solder?
Also, I like the matte brown on the metal parts, especially nice on a hunting rifle, but were the originals finished with a matte brown?

Gregg
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 01:05:35 AM by Hemo »

Boompa

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2016, 12:25:55 AM »
 Really like the clean look of your inlayed plates for the barrel keys. The way the screws are filed flush w/ the surface, very nice!
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 04:11:36 AM by Boompa »

Offline PPatch

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2016, 12:34:17 AM »
Nice! Really NICE!

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline FDR

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2016, 02:36:08 AM »
Bridger would have loved that one!  Beautiful clean Hawken.

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2016, 05:22:03 AM »
Impeccable workmanship Taylor!  Your skill and experience really shine on this one.  It's a beauty!

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

• Member 3
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2016, 05:28:27 AM »
Hemo:  no, this finish is strictly contemporary.  Original rifles have rust blued barrels, and all of the furniture is pack hardened, sometimes in colours but subtle, and sometimes just grey.  But I still really like the matte brown, especially on a hunting rifle.  It is impervious to rust and is tough.

The hollow rib has a plug of steel wool about 1/4" in from the front end, and then filled with silver bearing solder.  The back end is open to allow air to circulate and keep from rusting.  I appreciate the comments and questions.
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline Bill Ladd

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2016, 03:36:11 PM »
That's a mighty fine-looking rifle.

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2016, 04:12:13 PM »
Taylor I can look at your craftsmanship all day long. Gives me inspiration. Cause when I look at my guns I think hmmmm another steel reinforced canoe paddle.

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2016, 05:38:41 PM »
Taylor,
That is a beautiful gun.  The craftsmanship and attention to detail you displayed on this rifle can only help to grow and maybe revive the numbers of people who love and appreciate Hawken rifles.  Well done!
David