Author Topic: Stain  (Read 2584 times)

Bob Rearley

Stain
« on: April 18, 2016, 04:12:43 AM »
Gentlemen,
Nearing completion of an Edward Marshall.  I am curious what some of your thoughts are on stain color.  I also just discovered the most important tool in carving.  My left thumb.
 There are some things we just have to learn on our own.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Stain
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 06:21:32 AM »
The original Marshall rifle is stained very light.  Sandy blonde color.
Andover, Vermont

Bob Rearley

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 08:16:58 PM »
Thanks Rich.  I also checked the archives and there were some nicely finished Marshalls.  All were finished with an imparted age.

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2016, 04:07:02 PM »
Wallace Gusler used a combination of linseed oil and pine tar for a light stain.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2016, 06:30:35 PM »
Wallace was working on one of his lightly stain guns at the TN show several years ago. It was one of his with extreme wire work. I liked the stain and asked what it was and he said tea. He said he was a big tea drinker and saved all the bags/grounds and that was what he used on this particular gun. I don't remember him mentioning any other additive. It turned out a beautiful blond color.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Bob Rearley

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2016, 07:23:41 PM »
Thanks guys.  In Wallace's carving dvd he uses a combination of turpentine and tar to finish a gun.  Bob