Author Topic: My Hudson Valley Long…………………Pistol  (Read 5566 times)

Offline conquerordie

My Hudson Valley Long…………………Pistol
« on: April 15, 2016, 04:20:38 PM »
Well I've always wanted a Hudson Valley Long Fowler, but I don't have the money for a barrel or stock that size.  So to scratch that itch, I built a pistol that could have been made in the Hudson Valley in the 1730 timeframe.
http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j400/conquerordie/Mobile%20Uploads/0415160821_zpsz2kymgfa.jpg[/img]][/url]

It has a 16.5 inch barrel that is .62 cal that i made from a cutoff from one of those oct/rnd barrels TOW sells in there kits.  Had a local machine shop square up the muzzle and taper it for me.  I filed the decorations and wedding bands. Barrels this long are seen on European pistols, and I wanted to create a pistol reusing parts from various guns in a provincial manner.
http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j400/conquerordie/Mobile%20Uploads/0415160824a_zpsabbx0s7x.jpg[/img]][/url]

The stock is Cherry that I stained with Ferric Nitrate, then aged some.  The lock is the TVLLE that TOW sells made with Chambers internals.  Its the first time I used this lock, and I like it.  The thimbles were just plain steel that I filed to give a more Dutch feel.  The side plate is just steel that I cut and filed.  The trigger guard finial I copied from a fowler from the 1730's, as is the rest of the furniture and carving on the stock.
http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j400/conquerordie/Mobile%20Uploads/0415160822_zpss0nqa9d8.jpg[/img]][/url]
http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j400/conquerordie/Mobile%20Uploads/0415160823_zps2bft4a5f.jpg[/img]][/url]
http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j400/conquerordie/Mobile%20Uploads/0415160825_zpsefsnzpvq.jpg[/img]][/url]
The buttcap is a spurred cap from MBS that I cut the spurs off and just filed and attached.
http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j400/conquerordie/Mobile%20Uploads/0415160825a_zps7eicxt3z.jpg[/img]][/url]
I tried my hands at aging for the first time.  I think it came out ok, but it is an art to get it right.  Im still in the learning phase.  Gotta start somewhere!  I wanted it to look like a provincial piece from NY Hudson Valley, not a piece of art, but a pistol that could be owned by someone in the valley at in the early 18th century of middling status.  I inlet everything by hand, drilled the ramrod channel, altered every piece of metal, except the lock.  I learned a lot, most of all that pistols are hard!  Comments and critiques are welcomed.  Thanks for looking,
Greg

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
Re: My Hudson Valley Long…………………Pistol
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2016, 05:26:23 PM »
Love the concept, and it looks like a fun piece. It looks like you're gaining good insights into coloring and aging. Good job.

I also think you did a good job with the provincial concept. The wood looks believable in its carving and shaping. Overall, I think the stock is a little bulkier all over than I like, but you've captured the essence well. The steps in the barrel could be a little more subtle, they seem a little abrupt and could be softened some.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 05:32:00 PM by Acer Saccharum »
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2016, 06:04:00 PM »
Looks good to me -- I think you did well with the over-all design and the aging.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2016, 06:26:58 PM »
That's your backup when the ducks are coming in fast and furious to the decoys. Nicely done.
Andover, Vermont

Offline old george

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2016, 07:07:42 PM »
Very nice pistol. That will keep the bad guys at arms length and then some ;D

geo
I cannot go to Hades: Satan has a restraining order against me. :)

Online Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2016, 08:28:32 PM »
Dude that's the coolest thing I've seen today!  I'm jealous I didn't think of it first.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2016, 08:38:52 PM »
I like it,if Dirty Harry wore a tri-corner hat that be what he'd carry!

Offline Daryl

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2016, 09:37:05 PM »
That would be fun to shoot with buck and ball- on silhouette targets.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline axelp

• TomBob Outdoors, LLC.
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2016, 11:59:32 PM »
neat. love it. does it come with sling swivels?   ;D
Galations 2:20

Offline conquerordie

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2016, 02:55:17 AM »
Thanks everyone for their kind comments and critiques. I agree my wedding bands are a little deep. Next time I'll do better. I felt the forestock could have been thinner height wise, but with my barrel that is what looked right. Its .90 at the breech with a taper to .70 at the muzzle. I wanted that thin muzzle like on originals. While it doesn't have swivels I contemplated making a shooting stick for a matchlock for it ;D

Greg

Joe S

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2016, 03:26:42 AM »
Very cool.  I particularly like the pipes and the trigger guard. I have a couple of questions:

How thick was the sheet that you used for the pipes?

Is the trigger guard a modified casting or did you make the whole thing?

Offline conquerordie

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2016, 03:43:25 AM »
The pipes were the plain steel pipes from MBS. I just filed and shaped them. I believe they are around .040 thick. When I do make them, I usually use .032, but they are simpler. The extra thickness helped me get the profile I was looking for. The front pipe is for a 3/8" pipe, and the rear is for 5/16". The ramrod hole is 5/16".The triggerguard was a type d fusil guard from TOW. Had to do a lot of shortening, bending, and profiling to make it work.  Hope this helps,
Greg

Joe S

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2016, 03:54:29 AM »
Interesting.  I'm working on an HV fowler at the moment.  I made the pipes from 0.060 steel stock, and the trigger guard from a TOW French Tulle fusil de chasse.  Had to bend the pipes hot.

I like your lock selection as well.  It's plausible, and works much better on the pistol than a 7" Dutch lock would.

Offline conquerordie

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2016, 04:04:14 AM »
I would loved to have had a smaller lock, but just couldn't find a suitable produced lock, and didn't feel like building TRS kit. Its plausible that a French lock like this would have been found in NY. But in reality, this lock is almost 3/8" longer than I wanted. Just had to make do. I think those French guards are great for making other types of guards from. Just have to be able to visualize what you want to get from them. Can't wait to see pictures of your fowler. I'm already jealous.
Greg

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2016, 12:01:30 AM »
 THAT, is Really cool. I could see me shooting charcoal briquettes launched from a sling shot of the back deck with it. Maybe I should say "Trying" to shoot.
 Nice work.

Tim C.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2016, 12:36:28 AM »
I'd have it jugged and shoot turkeys with it. I know of a fella that has done it and has shot several with it.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?