Author Topic: Lock and Barrel darkening  (Read 4505 times)

Offline Carl Dumke

Lock and Barrel darkening
« on: April 20, 2016, 12:18:15 AM »
Hello All,
Would like to know the process to darken the metal on the barrel and locks. Thanks!
Carl

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
Re: Lock and Barrel darkening
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 12:34:46 AM »
What color would you like?

Please share a pic of the finish you desire.  There are lots of ways and colors.  Most of them are controlled oxidation by various methods.  Some use chemicals, some use heat, some are combinations of both.  There are pre and post process requirements for some results and well, it can get complicated after that.  Blue, brown, gray, worn/aged? What is your desire?

We need specifics. 
Hold to the Wind

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 12:49:59 AM »
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Offline Carl Dumke

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 03:53:23 PM »
All, looking to darken the barrel to a aged gray color.  Thanks!
Carl

Thawk

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 06:38:59 PM »
All, looking to darken the barrel to a aged gray color.  Thanks!
There are methods to do that as well.  The only one I have used is a light treatment of Birchwood Casey cold blue.   Then polish that finish off with fine steel wool till you get the color you want.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2016, 09:00:45 PM »
 This is the way I get the aged look I like best. I like the gun to look used not abused.
  First I buy some cold blue ( I prefer the liquid rather than the paste). Then get some Birchwood Casey plum brown ( this is the only instance you will hear me recommend this product). Get some chlorine bleach. And a lot of double ought steel wool.
Blue the polished barrel with one coat of cold blue.
 Brush on some bleach being careful to avoid breathing the fumes ( a fan blowing the fumes away from you works well).
When you see the light age pitting in the areas you treated with the bleach wash off the barrel and allow to dry. It will continue to rust a little. This is not a problem.
 Now, heat the barrel and apply the Plum Brown in places the barrel would likely develope light surface rust.
Steel wool the barrel to blend and lighten the brown, and any blue that remains.
A final coat of blue, carefully rubbed back with steel wool, should get you a nice aged look
This finish is not durable so a coat of paste wax will help keep it the way you want it.

Hungry Horse

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2016, 05:56:32 AM »
I have a simpler method to get a gun metal gray.   Just degrease (no need to polish past 320 grit emory) the iron/steel parts and apply a cold blue solution.   While still wet, apply tincture of iodine.   It must be "tincture" of iodine.   You do a small area at a time.   Let the parts sit over night.   They should rust considerably.   Polish off the rust with Scotchbrite pads (I use green and light gray) until you get the color you want.   You start with dark brown and then end with a blue/black/gray depending on how much red rust you remove.  The cold blue gives you a black oxide underneath the red oxide.    Wax to stop the rusting.

Turtle

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2016, 02:03:44 PM »
  phosphoric acid will make it grey easy. Just rub steel wool soaked it the acid several applications. The aged part happened for me with time,shooting and age. maybe wiping it with a fouled patch would speed that.
                                                                Turtle

Hemo

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2016, 04:48:32 PM »
I have a simpler method to get a gun metal gray.   Just degrease (no need to polish past 320 grit emory) the iron/steel parts and apply a cold blue solution.   While still wet, apply tincture of iodine.   It must be "tincture" of iodine.   You do a small area at a time.   Let the parts sit over night.   They should rust considerably.   Polish off the rust with Scotchbrite pads (I use green and light gray) until you get the color you want.   You start with dark brown and then end with a blue/black/gray depending on how much red rust you remove.  The cold blue gives you a black oxide underneath the red oxide.    Wax to stop the rusting.

Mark, do you have a picture of the result of this treatment, or a link to a previous post showing it? Do you finish locks with this method or just barrels? I'm presently about to finish a mid 18th century fowler, and am debating whether to leave the metal bright or soft gray. Not looking for a worn or antiqued look, but an off-the-bench finish.

Gregg
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 04:49:59 PM by Hemo »

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2016, 03:39:56 AM »
I have a simpler method to get a gun metal gray.   Just degrease (no need to polish past 320 grit emory) the iron/steel parts and apply a cold blue solution.   While still wet, apply tincture of iodine.   It must be "tincture" of iodine.   You do a small area at a time.   Let the parts sit over night.   They should rust considerably.   Polish off the rust with Scotchbrite pads (I use green and light gray) until you get the color you want.   You start with dark brown and then end with a blue/black/gray depending on how much red rust you remove.  The cold blue gives you a black oxide underneath the red oxide.    Wax to stop the rusting.

Mark, do you have a picture of the result of this treatment, or a link to a previous post showing it? Do you finish locks with this method or just barrels? I'm presently about to finish a mid 18th century fowler, and am debating whether to leave the metal bright or soft gray. Not looking for a worn or antiqued look, but an off-the-bench finish.

Gregg

Look at the gun on the Featured page of my web site; www.markelliottva.com.   I left the patchbox and butt piece a little dark, but look at the the guard, lock, barrel and thimbles for better examples of the gray color.