Author Topic: Inletting Fowler Trigger Guard  (Read 3813 times)

George F.

Inletting Fowler Trigger Guard
« on: March 26, 2009, 02:47:35 AM »
I'm curious. How much of the rear extension of a fowler trigger guard is suppose to be above the surface of the stock? Is the rear extension suppose to be flush, but the metal slightly domed? Or is supposed to be filed flat and even with the stock? Or is it suppose to be  slightly elevated, leaving a little side view of the trigger guard?   ...Geo.

Offline Roger Fisher

Re: Inletting Fowler Trigger Guard
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 03:00:42 AM »
Rightly or wrongly I inlet mine so it appears to be growing out of the wood.  I read that somewhere. Seems like one setting on the wood always leaves a peep hole or two so you can see thru under the darn thingee...  I have recently dealt with a frenchy style looong style.  !

Online Dave B

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 07:45:51 AM »
On several of the orignials I Have seen they have only a minimal inlet. If you look at most of those trigger guards they are domed and have a fine edge on their perimiter. that end thick ness is the depth to inlet. On my french fowler it is less than a 32nd of an inch. I guess others may be set deeper but these few Dutch, English and French pieces I have seen dont have inlet depths greater than 1/16th of an inch.
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 04:50:26 PM »
On several of the orignials I Have seen they have only a minimal inlet. If you look at most of those trigger guards they are domed and have a fine edge on their perimiter. that end thick ness is the depth to inlet. On my french fowler it is less than a 32nd of an inch. I guess others may be set deeper but these few Dutch, English and French pieces I have seen dont have inlet depths greater than 1/16th of an inch.
Thanks Dave, I now feel vindicated at least on that part! :D

George F.

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 05:31:04 PM »
So, I think I"m reading, that the rear extension is inletted to the depth of where the domed profile starts. Is that correct?  ...Geo.

keweenaw

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 05:57:47 PM »
George,

The dome is supposed to follow the contour of the wood.  No reason to leave a vertical edge exposed.

Tom

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009, 05:58:02 PM »
I think your "Flush, but slightly domed" is a good general rule.  ;)
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."