Author Topic: Tempering springs, getting confused.  (Read 2962 times)

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
Tempering springs, getting confused.
« on: May 25, 2016, 09:56:22 PM »
I've temperd the few springs I've made , in my heat treating oven, using 7000F (3700C).
They seem to come out fine.

Whats the advantages using oil or lead?

Best regards
Rolf

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
Re: Tempering springs, getting confused.
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 10:09:07 PM »
An oven is the best way to temper springs in my opinion. Most people don't have an oven or any way to measure the temp.  Also the oil burn off method is simple,fast and cheap.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 10:32:49 PM »
Are we primarily doing this to home made springs?Would you do this to say one of the bigger lock suppliers springs?I really like reading all this but sometimes end up with more questions than answers.If you don't ask you don't learn,figure Chamber's locks are good to go but what about say L&R for example.Jerry said he would give springs a treatment after modifying it but wonder if you would do it to any spring to be sure or only when modifications where done.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 10:59:02 PM by Joe S. »

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 10:48:38 PM »
 I have never had spring trouble with any of the major lock suppliers. But most kits sold come with the springs un heat treated. I do re temper the internals on L&R locks. Davis locks are very  good  in my opinion. Chambers are the supreme locks. I have never seen an original lock that was any better than a Chambers lock and most are not near as good. In general we are spoiled today.   
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline shortbarrel

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 11:34:57 PM »
Rolf: Think both methods work just fine, if you know how to use them.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2016, 12:38:54 AM »
Hi Rolf,
Your oven is the way to go.  I would ignore the lead bath or oil method.  However, I find 750o F works best for most springs.  I have now made a lot of springs and re-hardened and tempered others. Using my current regime, I've not broken a single spring and made good springs.  Some time ago I experimented with mainsprings made from 1075 steel and tempered at about 700o.  A couple broke but most were fine.  I now prefer the higher temperature as it seems to be almost fool proof even with cast springs.

dave
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 12:40:04 AM by smart dog »
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2016, 02:16:47 AM »
I have never had spring trouble with any of the major lock suppliers. But most kits sold come with the springs un heat treated. I do re temper the internals on L&R locks. Davis locks are very  good  in my opinion. Chambers are the supreme locks. I have never seen an original lock that was any better than a Chambers lock and most are not near as good. In general we are spoiled today.   

I can only speak of Siler & Chamber lock kits and as of the early 70's all their springs were ready to go -- hardened & tempered no need to do anything other than install them. The last Chamber's lock kit I assembled was 10 or so years ago, maybe they have changed but I don't think so.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb