Author Topic: attaching lid on wooden patch box  (Read 3490 times)

dmb25

attaching lid on wooden patch box
« on: May 15, 2016, 07:17:07 PM »
hello,
what glue would you recommend for gluing the patch box pieces together (lid to the dovetail) and I also was thinking about using small pegs 1/8 thick for additional support would that still be original?
Thanks,
David

Offline bob in the woods

Re: attaching lid on wooden patch box
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2016, 11:16:07 PM »
I have only made one "two piece" box lid. I used a couple of brads to keep things in alignment  when glueing.  I used hide glue, although I wouldn't hesitate to use titebond if I made another.  All the others I've made have been one piece.  It isn't really any more difficult making a 1 piece lid.  IMO you don't need the pegs for strength.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2016, 11:26:38 PM »
Hi David,
I've made quite a few two piece and one piece wooden lids.  I use Elmers wood glue or Titebond and no pins.  Just a flat butt joint.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2016, 12:14:26 AM »
Just good ole elmers wood glue.  I did use small pegs made from toothpicks to keep it in alignment while the glue set. 

Coryjoe

Offline conquerordie

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2016, 12:54:40 AM »
I've made one two piece lid. I guess I went overkill and used acraglas that I had mixed for a modern gun I was working on. It ain't ever coming apart.
Greg

Online smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2016, 03:46:57 AM »
It's wood.  Use wood glue.  Elmers, Titebond II.  It will break the wood before the glue.
In His grip,

Dane

Online Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2016, 04:09:47 AM »
Any kind of wood glue. I use three c-clamps to clamp the two pieces together. i have also made one piece lids also.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2016, 03:07:49 PM »
I use water proof glue. I don't want it to come apart if I get caught out in a rainstorm hunting. Elmers will give up if it gets wet enough.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2016, 11:16:02 PM »
David R, I am not convinced Elmer's will give up when wet.  Years ago I was working on a couple small furniture projects for the house.  Had quite a few scraps of Honduras Mahogany left over and decided to cut them in to toy blocks of various sizes for my 3 year old daughter to play with.  I spent a couple hours cutting and sanding them real nice for her.  Couple days later she got ahold of the Elmer's ,and having watched me gluing up the furniture, decided to glue up her blocks in one big stack.  I soaked them in water for several days and they never did come apart.  She arranged them such I couldn't even saw them apart without ruining most of them.  Made her another stack later. 

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2016, 03:53:14 AM »
I have had older glue joints come apart when they got wet. Maybe age has something to do with it or maybe the stuff is better now than it used to be. I have some glue I bought years ago that is made for boat building that is two parts. Maybe overkill I guess.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2016, 04:47:33 AM »
I use Titebond III (waterproof) for gun work.  

By the way,  vinegar will dissolve most any water based glue.  There is a gelled vinegar based product called DeGlue Goo that can be used to take apart any water based glue joint.   

You use Nitro Methane to dissolve CA and Acetone to dissolve epoxy.   Doing conservation work,  I have gotten good and getting any glue joint apart.   ;D
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 04:51:25 AM by Mark Elliott »

dmb25

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2016, 05:32:59 PM »
o thanks for the advice while not original I used Elmer's exterior wood glue
Thanks,
dave