Author Topic: Ferriers rasp  (Read 5939 times)

Offline hortonstn

Ferriers rasp
« on: May 14, 2016, 05:17:49 AM »
Any one use a ferriers rasp for stock shaping?
Is it as good as a 49 or 59 cabinet rasp
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 07:18:20 AM by Ky-Flinter »

Offline David R. Pennington

Re: Ferriers rasp
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2016, 05:24:00 AM »
Generally too coarse for me. Takes too mutch time to get the scratches out. I like drawknives and spoke shaves, gouges and chisels.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 07:18:31 AM by Ky-Flinter »
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2016, 07:22:34 AM »
A ferriers rasp is much courser than a 49.  I've used one on wood and it removes a lot of wood quickly but leaves a very rough surface and can leave tear outs.

-Ron
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 07:22:55 AM by Ky-Flinter »
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2016, 07:36:29 AM »
Stan,

I use one for hogging off wood.  As mentioned, it can leave a rough surface.  I just leave enough wood to smooth it off with a #49 or a file.

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

MAC57

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2016, 01:29:45 PM »
Yes, I use one. Just watch your grain and a light touch when you near finish size.
 Mark

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2016, 02:07:06 PM »
I prefer a #49
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2016, 03:01:02 PM »
What everybody said.  It's big and rough and can make nasty a surface.  BUT they're cheap and locally available and can be useful/might suit your hand better than some. 

I say try one out-on hardwood scrap, or your blank before anything gets _near_ dimension.  They just shred soft woods.

A #49/50 or similar isn't quite in the same category.  Like comparing 40-grit sandpaper to 120.  I'd get the cabinet rasp if I could only have one.
Hold to the Wind

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2016, 04:14:15 PM »
It is good to have one in your file collection.   Remember, they have two sides.  I've had a couple of blanks that were so hard that regular rasps just skidded across like a file on hardened steel.  It took the coarse side of a ferrier's rasp to work the blank down.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2016, 05:08:44 PM »
I do most gross wood removal with a big chisel and mallet. Rasps are for final shaping. Unless of course you have alot of extra time on your hands....
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Boompa

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2016, 10:49:37 PM »
  I keep one around and use it occasionally. Use caution, it removes wood faster than any wood rasp I own.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 10:56:14 PM by Boompa »

Offline hortonstn

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2016, 03:35:22 AM »
Thanks for the comments I've been using a 50 nick because I'm afraid I'd cut to fast and mess up I think I'll stay slow and save my self a lot of aggravation after all the turtle did win

Offline Captchee

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2016, 04:42:12 PM »
  I use a  ferriers rasp a lot . They work real well for parliamentary shaping .
As was said , they take a lot of wood off quick . I have never had a sharp one tear the wood . However I also pay attention to grain  and rasp with the grain not against it .
Good Ferrier rasps should also have 2  sides . A course and a fine.
The fine side being  courser then a cabinet rasp.
  Use the finer side  for clean up  then progress to a smaller rasp , then files and scrapers .

On softer woods like English walnut or  red or big leaf maple , I shape using  my older Ferrier rasps that have began to get on the dull side .
 In fact I have a couple which were give to me  because the were getting to dull to use  for shoeing ..
   If your building from a  precarve , I would not use one . But if your staring from a plank  and working the wood down to a general shape , then they work wonderfully IMO

Paul E. Wog

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2016, 05:07:33 PM »
I agree with the #49 ;D
At a local gunsmithing school in the last century ::), we had to square up our first stock blank to the " professors" specs using a try square, jack plane. and a farriers rasp...I have not seen mine since.
Just my 2d worth.       8) Shreck ( NOT Meister )

Willbarq

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2016, 10:09:41 PM »
Get one, farriers rasp that is. Useful. Pressure determine the depth of the cut, which is a big duh, of course. I bought a used one for a dollar. Best dollar spent so far on tools.

Offline volatpluvia

• Doing mission work in sunny south, Mexico
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2016, 05:52:05 AM »
I hate rasps on wood.  I shaped with handsaw, chisels, gouges and course file.  The very last gonne I built I finished with cabinet scrapers.  I wish I had done that with ALL my rifles, smoothbores and pistols.
I believe, therefore I speak.  Apostle Paul.

archertl

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2016, 12:55:23 AM »
I have not used them for rifle stocks but I do use them for carving axe handles a lot. It is definitely a tool worth owning

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2016, 03:38:11 PM »
Instead of a rasp, try a Vixon file such as used for auto body work. They will really peel the wood off in a hurry and not leave a rough surface.

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2016, 08:33:26 AM »
Used my ferrier's rasp extensively again today - it's a fantastic tool to have in your toolkit!  As with any hand tool, you just have to read how it's interacting with the wood.

Curtia
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing