Author Topic: Barrels for re-bore & rifling  (Read 2449 times)

Offline P.W.Berkuta

Barrels for re-bore & rifling
« on: June 16, 2016, 07:10:07 PM »
Never had this done so I am asking for some advice - here goes:
I have two Green Mountain barrels 15/16 across the flats that are .40 cal X 34" (they were 42" but I cut them back for different projects). I plan to make them into Plains rifles. I contacted Bobby Hoyt to have them re-bored to .54 cal. My question is this;  what twist and style of rifling (square, round, radius groove)  have any of you had good success with shooting a round ball from 50 to 125 yards?
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline Bob Roller

Re: Barrels for re-bore & rifling
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2016, 07:17:55 PM »
I have two Green Mountain barrels 15/16 across the flats that are .40 cal X 34" (they were 42" but I cut them back for different projects). I plan to make them into Plains rifles. I contacted Bobby Hoyt to have them re-bored to .54 cal. My question is this;  what twist and style of rifling (square, round, radius groove)  have any of you had good success with shooting a round ball from 50 to 125 yards?

I'm skeptical of the dimensions of that barrel to be rebored to 54 caliber. A 50 makes more sense to me.
As far as rifling is concerned the late Bill Large cut square bottom grooves and they are still in use and
shooting well.Ask Hoyt about that light barrel with a big bore.I have had good success shooting round
balls over 200 yards but I had a 1-1/8" 58 caliber Bill Large barrel to do it with. First with old style open
sights then later with a Malcolm telescope running the length of the barrel.

Bob Roller

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2016, 11:52:36 PM »
I'd talk to Hoyt, he'll set you straight.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline ScottH

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2016, 11:59:37 PM »
My Hoyt .54 tapered octagon barrel is a 1 in 70 twist with round bottom grooves.
I have been shooting it with 80 grains of powder, mostly Swiss 2FF, and .020+ cotton drill patching.
It seems to shoot pretty good to me.

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2016, 06:58:37 PM »
I've already contacted Bobby Hoyt with the caliber size for the 15/16" barrels and he said that they are good to go with that size. Green Mountain also sells that size in their 15/16" barrels so that should not be a problem. I have 4 - .50 cal barrels now I don't need another - most people want the .54 cal now. I'm thinking of a 66" twist and round lands but not sure how that would do -- that's why I posted this question. Thanks again for your reply's ;).
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline Daryl

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2016, 09:28:19 PM »
56" to 70" is pretty much the same as far as I'm concerned -  one must work up a load and stick with it. It takes more powder to shoot further is all.  I have a 66" in the 14bore and it will shoots identically, accuracy wise from 100 to 200yards with from 140gr. to 200gr. 2f GOEX - that is from 1,500fps to 1,700fps.
I prefer square grooves.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V