Author Topic: Brown Bess to Committee of Safety Musket  (Read 11876 times)

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Brown Bess to Committee of Safety Musket
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2016, 03:25:16 PM »
Here's another 'un. I won't make you suffer through all the pics unless you want to click on the link. This one is one of the TOW kits. The customer hated it and sold it immediately after receiving it. The lock plate is cast from an original and is marked "WILLITS". He insisted it was spelled wrong and should be "WILLETS". I insisted since it was cast from an original it was spelled right...or at least what was originally marked on the lock plate. Anyway, I left it "correct". He was put off. Unfortunate outcome I guess... He liked the rest of the gun.
Anyway, here it is. Pretty cool gun if you like Bess's.
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Gunmaker/library/317%20Fulton%20Bess?sort=3&page=1
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2016, 03:28:14 PM »
No raised hair here. I think it's just gorgeous.

Offline grabenkater

« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2016, 05:21:35 PM »
I wish I had 10% of your talent and skills, Mike.
When a nation forgets her skill in war, when her religion becomes a mockery, when the whole nation becomes a nation of money-grabbers, then the wild tribes, the barbarians drive in... Who will our invaders be? From whence will they come?

Offline Daniel

« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2016, 05:45:34 PM »
 I love Brown Bess 's . New looking or aged. These two trip my trigger.
Daniel     Ecc.4:12

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2016, 09:11:49 PM »
 Wishing won't make it happen, slim that Bess down ( I like to use a small scrub plane, or a scraper), relieve the cheek area so you can shoot it, and learn all those skills. This gun is a bare canvass waiting for you to paint a picture of a Committee of Safety musket that saw the birth of a nation. Remember, in aging guns, less is more. Too much gooped on "patina", or too many dents, and dings, make it look phony. You'll find a scotch bright pad used to scrub back the finish, and patina, will become your best friend. Also a small field repair of some sort often makes the aging more believable. Good Luck.

Hungry Horse

Offline Bill Ladd

« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2016, 10:21:05 PM »
@!*% Mike. Those are two jaw dropping muskets.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2016, 11:43:42 PM »
Thanks fellers, those were both fun guns to build. ;D
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

thimble rig

« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2016, 03:36:32 AM »
Thanks for sharing those photos Mr Brooks.Excellent job.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2016, 03:30:31 PM »
For all you Bess fans out there I just found another I did some years ago. Iron mounted.

Here's a link for more pics.
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Gunmaker/library/Pickard%20Bess?sort=3&page=1

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2016, 01:16:11 AM »
I feel totally inadequate posting my idea of what a COS gun may look like in this thread because of all the awesome guns already posted. Colerain Brown Bess barrel 10 ga. by 46" long, black walnut wood, modified Pete Allen lock, Bess fittings except the side plate and it's cut for a bayonet. The lock is unmarked because my engraving looks like a toddler's attempt at writing with a big crayon.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 03:30:19 PM by Keb »