Author Topic: Tennessee mountain rifle sideplate  (Read 5870 times)

Offline frogwalking

Tennessee mountain rifle sideplate
« on: May 22, 2016, 03:57:31 AM »
I am working on a Tennessee mountain rifle.  I know many if not most originals had either two small side plates or washers, or even one lock bolt.  I plan to make a single sideplate to catch both bolts, but would like it to look as if it may have been an original design.  I have been looking at a lot of photos of originals, and some were made this way.  Does anyone have a photo of one that they think is particularly attractive?  Thanks,

Frog
Quality, schedule, price; Pick any two.

54ball

Re: Tennessee mountain rifle sideplate
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2016, 05:39:51 AM »
 Frog,
 I'm sure you looked here in the museum, there's all manor of sideplates. The Mathew Gillespie has an interesting two bolt sideplate. They used all kinds of shapes from moons, diamonds to the somewhat unusual and of course none at all.

I'm kind of at an impasse right now with my 1810 Gillespie. The side panel turned out nice so just the bolt head has a clean look that I find attractive and simple. On the other hand I was planning to do a comet sideplate to commemorate the Great Comet of 1811. I have come up with some designs but I don't know  ??? Really they may be better on the cheek than the sideplate. Incorporating the bolt or bolts and still looking good has me scratching my head on the comet.

I think if you stay true to the overall style any tasteful design from simple to elaborate, one piece or two piece, would look right. I think it's the Gross rifle, nearly the whole side panel is the sideplate in silver. The Gamecock rifle has a nice "winged" sideplate.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2016, 03:44:23 PM »
If you go through the southern rifles on the ALR virtual museum you can see dozens of sideplates , almost every one of them is different. It appears there is no "standard" southern rifle sideplate.

I was in a quandary about what sideplate to put on my current Tennessee rifle build. After looking through the rifles I mentioned I just made something up, there is no right or wrong.

Here is what I ended up with for a single lock bolt gun.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 03:44:49 PM by Eric Krewson »

Online Dave B

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2016, 10:23:55 PM »
This is a side plate from an original iron mounted rifle that was restocked. It was orignially a flintlock and converted to percussion. Ian Prat thought it likely from North Carolina. I like the rustic yet classic look.

free image hosting ebay
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 03:55:04 PM by Dave B »
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 01:16:24 AM »
I use the same sideplate on all my S.W. VA rifles.   

It is based on original S.W. VA rifles, but is my own style at this point. 

Offline frogwalking

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2016, 04:40:25 AM »
Dave,  I like that triggerguard pin.  I like the sideplate too.

Doc

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2016, 07:04:06 PM »
Is that middle screw someone filing down a larger screw to make it work or was that common?

Still SSOOOOO much to learn.

Doc

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2016, 08:38:36 PM »
Does anyone have a photo of one that they think is particularly attractive?  Thanks,

Frog
Frog,
Check your email
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline PPatch

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2016, 09:10:27 PM »
Here is a single style side plate I copied from an original:

Are you sure you need two? The one lock bolt is working fine on the rifle pictured.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2016, 04:18:09 AM »
I have come to that opinion too.  That one pin is as good as two and appears to be as common as not in TN guns.

And YES! there is no "standard" TN gun.  Pick a maker or two and chase their work or "find the boundaries" and work within them is my mantra.

Sorry-my work lags my thoughts, but I have nearly all the parts for three at this point.  Just trying to make the time.
Hold to the Wind

Offline Daryl

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2016, 04:20:17 AM »
This is a side plate from an original iron mounted rifle that was restocked. It was orignially a flintlock and converted to percussion. Ian Prat thought it likely from North Carolina. I like the rustic yet classic look.

Dave- what is with the barrel sticking up into the sky at the breech?
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Online Dave B

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2016, 07:35:26 AM »
The barrel was never fully inlet into the stock. The breach plug may have come from a smaller barrel and was used on this one just to get by? With out the barrel the breach plug sits flush wiht the wood. Possibly the barrel was not original to the stock and the first barrel was smaller. I don't know. Its pretty ugly as is. I bought it for the Iron hardware. My thought was to restock it properly down the road. In the mean time this caricature of a stock keeps the parts all in one place.
Dave Blaisdell

Offline frogwalking

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2016, 09:17:53 PM »
I plan on a little more beveling during the finishing phase.  The sideplate is inletted 2/3 rds. of total plate thickness.

Both tang bolts go through the trigger plate.  Two lock bolts through the sideplate.  The Davis front trigger has been straightened; and a trigger mainspring stop bolt (4-40 from a Sharps rifle trigger adjusting screw) installed so the lock and trigger work properly.  The lock is canted slightly and this made the distance between the triggerplate and sear bar very small.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 08:31:12 PM by frogwalking »