Author Topic: L & R lock disassembly  (Read 1910 times)

Jim S

L & R lock disassembly
« on: June 16, 2016, 05:05:10 AM »
I just received the lock, stock, and barrel (gee I finally got to use that expression for real!) from Pectonica to build my 36 caliber mule ear rifle. I want to take the L&R lock apart to make inletting it easier and also to polish the hammer and plate. I tapped a little on the pins - they seem to be very tight and and are staked or peened on one side. Has anyone else taken one of their locks apart? Should I just wack good and hard to drive the pins out?
Thanks
Jim S.

Offline gwill

Re: L & R lock disassembly
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2016, 05:28:50 AM »
Hello Jim - There's lock disassembly instructions on the INFO page on L&R's website.  Not sure if it covers the mule ear lock.  I hope this helps.

thimble rig

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2016, 03:13:27 PM »
You could always  give l and r a call and ask them .They would tell you or send  you some instructions.That way you wont damage anything.

Offline Gun_Nut_73

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2016, 07:35:38 PM »
Here is the reply I received from L&R Lock, concerning disassembly:

1) to disassemble the mule ear lock you remove the mainspring screw and mainspring. Next you drive the 1/8" pins out from the bottom, be careful not to lose the coil spring on the sear and fly in the tumbler. Lastly if you need the remove the sear arm drive the 3/32" pin out from the end of the lock.

thimble rig

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2016, 01:20:30 AM »
Might want to take a couple of pictures before you take it apart.That way you have a reference of how it goes back together.