Author Topic: Touch hole liner removal  (Read 13190 times)

Offline davebozell

Re: Touch hole liner removal
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2016, 03:37:39 AM »
Here are Mike's pictures:

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2016, 04:29:43 AM »
Ampco liner. Actually bronze. What ever the diameter of it is, the threads will most likely be the UNF of that size.  I would place my bet on it being 1/4"x28.
Psalms 144

Offline Daryl

« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2016, 04:35:46 AM »
Me too - I expect a small easy-out tapped in and turned counterclockwise, would remove it. Possibly, even a small tapered file handle, even though of mild steel.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Squirrel pizza

« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2016, 05:28:13 AM »
Thank you again Dave for posting the pictures. A great help! I'm obviously unfamiliar with Ampco. I'll give it a google and see what I can find. It's a good start.   Well I found out two things. Buffalo Bullet Co. sells this in a 1/4 x28 thread for the bargain price of $5. But, there is such a thing as a touch hole liner with a left hand thread, metric. Who'd have thunk? So replace with amoco, which has been reliable for literally thousands of shots or change to a different style?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 05:39:41 AM by Squirrel pizza »

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2016, 05:52:48 AM »
If you don't have an easy out that fits just go to Lowe's or Home Depot and get one of the double ended bits which have a small drill on one end and a left hand thread easy out type on the other end.  It is used for removing deck screws and other with various head size drive holes. 

Offline Squirrel pizza

« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2016, 06:29:53 AM »
That is on my list of things to do tomorrow. That, chain saw blades, bar oil, and a 55 gallon drum of Deet. Trying to cut a 200yd shooting lane. I've never seen the ticks this bad. Little bitty suckers.

Offline FDR

« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2016, 03:32:29 PM »
Those are deer ticks and will give you Lyme disease in a heart beat. Nasty stuff ask me how I know!
What you need is Permethrin to kill those. Local farmers supply will have it in concentrate form. Works on your cloths also.

Fred

Offline Squirrel pizza

« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2016, 03:41:31 PM »
As thick as the woods are I don't know how spraying anything could be effective. I'm willing to try about anything short of napalm, but don't want to poison the place. Lots of berries and such coming in. How would spraying,(I imagine it's sprayed) affect the kritters? It would have to be easier and less expensive to use a product like deet to keep them off me rather than trying to rid the woods of them.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 03:45:29 PM by Squirrel pizza »

Offline JBJ

« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2016, 04:30:48 PM »
The permethrin should NOT be applied to your skin! Clothes only and be aware that it will persist on the clothes for a couple of washings although I never trust it to do so and reapply. Permithrin kills those buggers nicely. Also, tuck your pants legs inside of your treated boots. Let's not talk about lyme disease (which is one of several diseases now vectored by ticks) - been there done that. Ugh!
J.B.

Offline Squirrel pizza

« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2016, 05:17:47 PM »
Back in the day we sprayed everything with malithyon(forgive my spelling). Only to find out all the ugly things it can do to you. Think I'll stick to deet. Even though ten years from now I'll grow a third ear and find out it's from deet poisoning.

Offline FDR

« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2016, 05:21:38 PM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permethrin

Safe and what is used on tick/bug proof clothing for the military. After I got Lyme from a tick bite while turkey hunting I became a lot more cautious. The lone term affects from Lyme are real!

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2016, 07:34:37 PM »
Removing that liner is easy, and you have received good advice from posters.

Drill an eighth inch hole in the old vent.  Use a small easy out, turning it courterclockwise, and the liner will either back out, or strip the metal of the easy out, depending on its quality.  If it does, use a bigger easy out...they come in sets.  The old liner is an Ampco beryllium copper liner and yes, it looks like brass.  It is as hard and tough as mild steel.  If you ruin all your easy outs, drill out the liner with a number 3 drill bit, chase the threads with a 1/4" x 28 tpi tap and install a new Ampco vent.  But better yet, buy Chambers 5/16" x 32 tpi liner and the appropriate drill bit, and install the new improved liner following Jim's instructions.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Online Hungry Horse

« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2016, 08:07:19 PM »
 Don't use the 5/16" White lightning touch hole liner if you like that nice slow ignition you were getting before. The white lightning is as fast as a percussion if everything else is right. I've installed three in my guns, and even my old Harper's Ferry is quite fast in spite of its slow lock time.

Hungry Horse

Offline Squirrel pizza

« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2016, 11:11:28 PM »
Thanks for all the input. Much appreciated. Took a little heat but got it done. I'll be sure to use some anti seize goop on install. Maybe next go round will be easier!

• Member 3
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2016, 12:58:48 AM »
Once a vent liner is installed, it should never be removed until it is burnt out.  I've never used anti-seize ... but I use a bucket to clean my barrels.
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline Squirrel pizza

« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2016, 09:39:51 PM »
Mr. Sapergia, you did see the pictures at the top of the page right? Pretty well burnt out. But out of curiosity, why shouldn't you change a touch hole liner, burnt out or not?

Online bob in the woods

« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2016, 10:18:12 PM »
He said removed....not replaced.  Some folks like to remove the liner for cleaning or whatever other reason.  There is one fellow at our club who used the slotted liners exclusively so that he could remove them after every shoot for cleaning.  Thread wear and tear take their toll.   

• Member 3
« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2016, 03:37:02 AM »
...zakly!
D. Taylor Sapergia