Author Topic: Cold blue and tincture of iodine finish  (Read 2863 times)

Offline moleeyes36

Cold blue and tincture of iodine finish
« on: July 03, 2016, 02:55:03 AM »
I going to try the cold blue and tincture of iodine finish on my current project.  I've never tried that process before and have been reading up on it by doing searches here on the forum.  It seems to be a popular method and pretty straight forward.  Some people in their posts call out 44/40 cold bluing liquid but most don't specify a particular bluing agent.  I can't get 44/40 in this area and ordering it makes it about $20 for a two ounce bottle.  I have a couple of bottles of Birchwood Casey Super Blue on hand and wonder it that will work as well.  Does the process require 44/40, or do other cold blues work as well?  Thanks.

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
Re: Cold blue and tincture of iodine finish
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2016, 08:07:59 PM »
I just use whatever is available at the local gun store.   I think it is more important that the barrel be well degreased.    Dawn detergent works as well as anything.   Otherwise, you need to wipe it down good with acetone.   I would go with the Dawn first.   After that, the barrel will rust up pretty good on its own.  The cold blue is just to give you black oxide undertones when you are done.   The next day after applying the tincture of iodine,  you will have lots of red rust that needs to be scrubbed back.   The better you degrease, the more even the rusting and the final finish will be.    Of course, sometimes you don't want even.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 08:12:29 PM by Mark Elliott »

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2016, 09:15:24 PM »
Thanks, Mark, I appreciate your answer.  I hated the idea of spending $20 bucks for a bottle of 44/40 buying it on line when I have at least 2 bottles of Birchwood Casey Super Blue in the shop.  All the places in this area that sell cold blue and other gun finishing products only handle Birchwood Casey.

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2016, 10:00:46 PM »
I buy this a quart at a time.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/metal-prep-coloring/metal-bluing/liquid-cold-bluing-chemicals/dicropan-t-4--prod1085.aspx

Use degreased medium steel will to apply and card in one step. 

As for how things rust on their own, it depends on where you live.  I live in a cool dry area, I have trouble making rust.  I just returned from Oklahoma.  It was 100 Deg-F and 80+ percent humidity.  Everything was rusting.  Heck my glasses fogged up when I stepped out of an AC building.