Author Topic: Locks & bagels  (Read 3885 times)

Johann

Locks & bagels
« on: June 20, 2016, 10:03:40 PM »
Greetings,

I am starting a longrifle from a curly maple blank, in Lancaster Co. style, more specifically following the style of J.P.Beck. The rifle will be of small bore, only .36 caliber. I am curious as to what lock you fellows would chose for it. I am assuming that the lock will have to be Germanic, and fairly small,  though I read somewhere about him using Harpers Ferry locks (apocryphal).
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 10:21:51 PM by Johann »

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Locks & bagels
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2016, 12:11:34 AM »
Siler.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2016, 02:04:12 AM »
Chambers Siler, get it right Mike.  Buy appropriate to the period!
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

Offline Gary Tucker

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2016, 02:04:49 AM »
The lock that Stan Hollenbaugh sells, the one designed by Robert Ditchburn, is actually based on a J. P. Beck lock.  It is small in size and is a superb lock.
Gary Tucker

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2016, 03:10:21 AM »
Also look at the M/G lock by Larry Zorn. It is a little smaller than the large Siler - it is a nice lock.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2016, 03:40:05 AM »
     A second for Stan Hollenbaugh's lock for an accurate Beck copy.  I have used the lock a number of times and it is an excellent lock.   Second choice would be the small Siler flintlock.
Ron
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2016, 02:06:28 PM »
I've always considered the large siler to be a small-ish lock. The small siler is pretty much a pistol lock in my book. How big is the breech on the barrel you're going to use, that may help decide what might work best.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2016, 06:41:11 PM »
The Ditchburn lock was copied directly from a Beck rifle.  As long as the barrel is a similar size, it should work great.  I've used two of his locks, and they are great locks.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2016, 09:55:52 PM »
It is a fatal flaw in my eye to use a small lock on big gun. The lock should be appropriately sized for the barrel.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Johann

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2016, 05:55:44 AM »
Thank you all for your suggestions.
I shall post photos when the gun is further along.
-Johann