Author Topic: My Current Project  (Read 3598 times)

Offline t.caster

My Current Project
« on: June 20, 2016, 11:19:18 PM »
I may be a little late to the table in posting this rifle that I started sometime in April, and then I got a lot of other projects to do first. I had a couple page list of things to do this spring (as always) including, installing a new Chassis Engineering Inc. rear suspension kit on my 1946 Ford Coupe, and it actually works good after about 200 miles on it. Then I had to build 3 new 12' high columns for the front of my house and install them, trim moulding, caulk and paint them. Made a new center console for my '46 Coupe. Yard work...yada yada yada! I guess I haven't visited here as much as I like lately!
This is going to be similar to the "Free Born" rifle RCA #114 and I will offer it for sale here when completed. I don't know when that will be because I just got an order to build a similar one scaled down in size for one of the ladies in our club, without a patchbox or carving and iron mounted.
I have a Coleraine .54 x 38" C wt barrel installed and a Chambers Dale Johnson lock for it.

Today is so hot outside I thought I would cool off in front of the computer 8)
Tom C.

greybeard

Re: My Current Project
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 11:45:09 PM »
Interesting grain in that wood. Should be a beauty!
Bob

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2016, 12:10:50 AM »
Looks a little on the square side to me. ;)

Should be a great gun to copy, I'm sure it will be an interesting gun to build.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline KC

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2016, 03:25:04 AM »
That's going to be one good looking rifle. I look forward to seeing more.
K.C. Clem
Bradenton, FL

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2016, 05:41:44 AM »
That's going to be cool Tom.  Who made the trigger?  Did the original gun have a set trigger?  Looking forward to seeing her come together.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Swampwalker

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2016, 05:12:59 PM »
Outstanding, I always liked that rifle, and I can't recall anyone doing one similar.  Has a great patchbox and interesting somewhat awkward carving.  The lock if I recall, is a large Ketland-style English lock, so I'm curious about your lock choice. 

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2016, 06:38:43 PM »
I believe Mr Brooks has built one.  Maybe he will post photos?
In His grip,

Dane

Offline t.caster

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2016, 04:10:37 PM »
I am not going to do a "bench copy" so the DJ lock was pretty close in profile, and I usually reshape the plate so it does look like the original. Now that I see the similarity to the early Ketland with a bridle on the frizzen, I might buy one of those for this. I DO want this to look more Carolina than Pennsylvania.

The trigger looks like a simple single one, but it has a LONG guard opening like a dbl. set would have and a very long tricker plate. I would like to see a better pic from underneath to see if there is a slot in the plate for a set tricker. It may have been changed over the years. I am more inclined to put a dbl set on this than the single set anyway. Time will tell!

I saw a pic of one of these that Jud Brennan build (not a bench copy either) and he engrave the scripture on the side plate instead of the patchbox.
Tom C.