Author Topic: Canoe gun  (Read 4579 times)

Hadden West

Canoe gun
« on: June 22, 2016, 04:55:13 AM »
I came upon a White Mountain Carbine in a pawn shop. The stock was messed up, where someone had a plaque or something on the stock, and then used a screwdriver to pry it off. I got the idea to rescue it and make a Canoe gun, Blanket gun, or whatever you want to call it. It has 1 in 20 rifling which is perfect for a pistol. So I cut the barrel and underrib, dovetailed in a new sight, chopped the stock and reshaped it, browned the metal, but left the lock plate in the white and it is fun as heck to shoot.

Offline frogwalking

Re: Canoe gun
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 05:58:26 AM »
I once saw an original Springfield civil War rifle done that way so the enterprising soldier could have a second shot  during close combat.  It's range was further than a bayonet could reach and it hit a lot harder than a revolver.
Quality, schedule, price; Pick any two.

Hadden West

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 02:41:13 PM »
I had been looking for parts to build a pistol that would be legal in Virginia, for deer hunting. However, the law requires it to be single shot, loaded from the muzzle, with at least 50 grains of powder, and at least 50 caliber, with a 12" barrel. (I think I got that right) The bottom line, not too many traditional looking pistols meet the description that the State requires. My intention was to use the WMC barrel, lock, and trigger, and make a Kentucky style stock, but I decided to try it this way first. I like it so much, now I'd hate to chop it down. Maybe I'll find another candidate for the Kentucky pistol.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 03:09:52 PM »
Look at the Chambers pistol kit. It has a barrel which is designed to meet those specifications. It's a beautiful pistol

Offline grabenkater

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2016, 03:10:34 PM »
I once saw an original Springfield civil War rifle done that way so the enterprising soldier could have a second shot  during close combat.  It's range was further than a bayonet could reach and it hit a lot harder than a revolver.

I seriously doubt a soldier cut down a musket himself. More than likely it was done after the Civil War.

BTW cool looking toy.
When a nation forgets her skill in war, when her religion becomes a mockery, when the whole nation becomes a nation of money-grabbers, then the wild tribes, the barbarians drive in... Who will our invaders be? From whence will they come?

Offline Squirrel pizza

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2016, 04:11:14 PM »
Looks like it would be right handy. Be a good hog gun. Lookin forward to seeing the holster you make for it.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2016, 07:30:15 PM »

I seriously doubt a soldier cut down a musket himself. More than likely it was done after the Civil War.

BTW cool looking toy.

I think it might be possible if using a badly damaged gun.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2016, 12:45:42 AM »

BTW cool looking toy.

This is most often the case. Most modified CW weapons were done after the war to more easily fill a civilian role. A cut down musket would be considered a hindrance by most veteran infantrymen, as were large pistols and large knives. Melee combat was also quite rare, as were bayonet charges.
Psalms 144

Hadden West

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2016, 03:11:14 AM »
What's really fun is watching others shoot this thing. My Son-in-law wanted to shoot it, but didn't believe me, when I told him that I placed it against my cheek. He was yeah...right. I said okay, you can lay it across a range bag, and back off it and shoot it like that. I showed him that I put 50 grs of powder and round ball, then placed the stock along my jaw, just under my ear, I fired it and hit the center of the bullseye. He still wants no part of that, but it's really not that bad.

I was wondering how to carry it. I didn't want a sling, maybe a holster would work. Maybe something cross draw, in front of me. Look's like it belongs on horseback.

If I only had the chance to hog hunt. Hog hunting is on my bucket list.

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2016, 04:29:20 AM »
Hadden when I first joined this sight I had built a canoe gun. Touchy subject to some. Mine is a 20gauge. They are fun to shoot an Pac a mean punch. Have fun with yours.