Author Topic: Simple patch box latch.  (Read 4338 times)

Mikecooper

Simple patch box latch.
« on: June 27, 2016, 05:37:01 AM »
Just thought I'd share this.   Many years ago I build this rifle and now I can't remember exactly how I did the spring catch.   So I took the butt plate off to have a look.  There is no fancy button mechanism.  Just a simple friction catch with a small notch in the butt plate just big enough to get a thumb nail under.     The pin goes through a hole in a brass plate so it lines up just right then a spring catches the pin.  Spring pressure adjusted with a small wood wedge. 

« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 01:26:02 PM by Mikecooper »

Offline frogwalking

Re: Simple patch box latch.
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 02:57:36 AM »
I like it.  It is much better than the spring that opens nd closes the lid, and simpler than a remote button.
Quality, schedule, price; Pick any two.

Mikecooper

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 03:55:10 AM »
At the time I wasn't sure how to do a button and simpler is better anyway.   There is a little side to side play in the hinge but when it's closed it's solid. 

Offline flehto

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 06:16:36 PM »
Just having a friction fit on the dia. might not eliminate the possibility of the lid opening if a sudden force were applied to the butt. For a simple lid retainer, I much prefer springs w/ a toggle over feature. MY first build had this arrangement and has never opened  when being used. ....Fred

Mikecooper

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 08:48:48 PM »
I'm not sure what you mean by a toggle over feature?     It may not show well the picture but the spring has a bend in it which catches a notch in the post so it's pretty secure.

I think you might have to hit a bear over the head with it to make it come open,  that's if you haven't grinned him to death already.   

Next one I might try to make a button release.   

This picture might show it better.   Bottom arrow is the bend in the spring.  I seem to remember making it from a hacksaw blade.  Top arrow shows the notch in the post. 

« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 09:03:06 PM by Mikecooper »

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 11:55:40 PM »
What he is calling a toggle-over feature I call a cam-over type box. Many of the VA rifles use this type of opener. I will see if I can find a photo of one I made a few years ago.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2016, 12:13:50 AM »
What he is calling a toggle-over feature I call a cam-over type box. Many of the VA rifles use this type of opener. I will see if I can find a photo of one I made a few years ago.
Dennis

I could not find a photo of the one that I did a few years ago. Evidently I didn't make a photo of it. I did find this patchbox tutorial on Hoot Al's site that shows him installing this type of release, take a look at this link.
http://www.hootalrifleshop.org/patchbox_bm.htm

The tenth photo in his tutorial shows a good photo of the cam-over style release/hold down.

Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Mikecooper

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2016, 12:26:52 AM »
Those are good pictures.  So it's a spring and cam up near the hinge. 

That brass looks thicker than mine.   What is the usual thickness of brass sheet used for making patchboxes? 

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2016, 12:30:44 AM »
I used .045" on the cam-over box I did. I had no problems with it and as far as I know the man that bought the rifle had no problems with it.
Dennis

Mikecooper

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2016, 02:52:38 AM »
Curiosity got the better of me so I figured out a way to test the force needed to open this patch box.   Tested it several times and the scale consistently registers three pounds of force needed to open it.    The lid doesn't have much mass and even if you filled the box with lead balls I think you would have to whack it pretty hard to make it come open.   If the post was smooth and didn't have a notch for the spring to catch then it would probably come open much easier. 
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 02:54:15 AM by Mikecooper »

Offline flehto

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2016, 07:41:14 AM »
Sorry for the confusion on my part....took your words "friction catch"  and didn't realize from the pic that "detent" was more applicable......Fred

Offline Old Ford2

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2016, 01:36:39 PM »
Thank you for the pictures!
Simple and very workable!!
Less complicated than some of the watch maker patch boxes I have seen and made ::)
Keep the great ideas coming!
Fred
Never surrender, always take a few with you.
Let the Lord pick the good from the bad!