Author Topic: Before browning???  (Read 2906 times)

newknapper

Before browning???
« on: June 23, 2016, 11:16:06 PM »
Do I need to remove front and rear sights before applying LMF browning? Plan is to brown it several times to get a good coverage then pour boiling water over it. I read in a search I don't that a builder done this and the results were very nice.

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
Re: Before browning???
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 11:59:28 PM »
I like to brown all the small parts separately.  I don't want them to rust in place and get stuck and if they are left in place I have a hard time carding all the nooks and crannies.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline b bogart

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2016, 01:31:03 AM »
I may have been that guy, but builder???? You give me too much credit. You may need to do more than just pour boiling water over it to achieve that black/blue. Search the archives where more than just I had input please!

newknapper

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2016, 03:16:49 AM »
Post number 7 on this thread http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=38382.0 gave me the idea.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2016, 04:39:08 AM »
After the barrel is evenly rusted you have to boil it to get it to change to a rust blue/black. It takes a while, just pouring boiling water over it won't get the job done.

Hungry Horse

newknapper

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2016, 05:07:02 AM »
I am just guessing but I shouldn't worry about browning the underside to f the tang and lug right.

Offline L. Akers

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2016, 05:55:04 AM »
Newknapper, you only need to brown those parts you don't want to rust.

Offline kutter

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2016, 05:55:40 AM »
You don't have to remove sights from the bbl before browning (or bluing), you can do it any way you want to.
Leaving them in place will sometimes give a build up of rust around those small parts and can add some 'age' to the assembly. It's just a result of not being able to more completely card those areas.

The browning soln can seep in under the sight dovetails and can rust them into place, one thing to keep in mind.
You shouldn't be applying it in such a heavy fashion that that is a problem, but sometimes it's bound to happen I'd guess.
Degrease the surfaces/dovetails & sights if needed before their last install if you are going to leave them in place for browning.  
A tiny bit of oil seeping out from underneath one during the process can spoil an otherwise perfect job.

I always remove and disassemble everything to be browned or blued,,just the way I do things.
Not necessarily the only way to do things.
The tang/breech plug gets browned completely (except the threads) as it is disassembled from the bbl. Again, just the way I do things.

Pouring boiling water over the completed browning job usually gets some color change but in my experience if any at all, it's been to a slightly darker shade of brown. Not a complete turn to a blue/black color as in rust bluing.

rogerpjr

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2016, 06:12:20 PM »
I did the pouring thing for my daughter's Bridger Hawken copy.  I didn't have the means to soak or boil the entire barrel at the time so I boiled a couple gallons of distilled water in a SS stock pot on the stove and held the barrel over a bucket.  I dipped and poured water from the pot and poured it over the barrel until the water was gone.  The barrel came out a nice black color that looked as if it had been slightly used.  Everyone so far has loved the look of it.  I'll have to get some pictures up on the site of the project.

newknapper

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2016, 06:42:34 PM »
I would love to see pics of it. Thanks.

Offline Chowmi

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2016, 11:19:06 PM »
I rust blued a barrel using a long section of PVC pipe with a cap on the end. Think I heard that technique on this forum somewhere. Worked great.
After browning, I put the barrel in the PVC pipe (maybe 2" diameter or so) and then poured in just-boiled distilled water and left it for 20 minutes. Came out nice and black.

Much easier than building a metal trough and trying to heat it evenly.
Cheers,
Chowmi

NMLRA
CLA