Author Topic: Sealing end grain  (Read 2971 times)

Offline webradbury

Sealing end grain
« on: June 25, 2016, 07:18:18 PM »
I did a search but couldn't really find anything. I was wondering what is the best way to seal the end grain of the stock.
I love the smell of Walnut shavings in the morning!

Offline PPatch

Re: Sealing end grain
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2016, 07:23:00 PM »
What sort of finish are you doing? Generally you seal it with that. If it is oil your first coat should be generous and prolonged, say keeping the stock wet with it for 10 minutes at least.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline webradbury

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2016, 01:58:41 AM »
I think I'm going to stain and then use BLO. Haven't really decided but I'm familiar with this finish and comfortable with it. I would try Aqua fortis but I have never used it and frankly, I'm afraid of fouling it up and turning the stock green.

Offline Dave R

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2016, 03:17:42 AM »
I have had the problem you mentioned " turning the stock green" only with chromium teroxide and have not had that problem with Aqua Fortis. Anyone had that similar results??
Please excuse my spelling.

Offline Nordnecker

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2016, 02:29:24 PM »
Do yourself a favor and get some AF/ferric nitrate (whatever you want to call it) and try it out on some scrap wood. I can't believe how many times I've read here that someone is afraid to try it. At least in my experience, it's easy and forgiving and, for maple, it is the best looking "stain" out there. Pigment stain just looks muddy to me. But that wasn't your inquiry. I've slathered BLO on end grain many times to prevent checking, etc. I haven't had any problems come from it. It's been debated many times here and every other resource on wood finishing that it isn't much of a finish by itself. 
"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2016, 05:32:46 PM »
Stain and finish BEFORE slathering the endgrain with sealant. The sealant soaking into the endgrain near the surface of the stock may cause the stain not to take evenly.

I soak the butt end with shellac. I apply shellac the inside of the lock inlet and patchbox, soak the endgrain of the breech, a generous coat on the inside of the barrel channel..... and few antique guns I've seen had this done. Most of the time, it's just raw wood. Go figure.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2016, 06:18:41 PM »
I always seal the end grain with what ever I'm using as finish, one or two coats. But, having said that, I haven't seen any sealer used under buttplates on any antique guns I have taken apart. Must not have been a worry back in the old days.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline webradbury

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2016, 07:26:55 PM »
Good advise thanks. Wood tends to move a lot here in the jungles of eastern NC between winter and summer!

Offline FDR

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2016, 09:15:56 PM »
Do the oil finish the easy way. Stain with ferric nitrate and blush with heat. Stain/blush again if it is not dark enough. Rub back lightly with a white scotch bright pad. Then apply 2 coats of "Waterlox" original, rub back again then apply your oil finish, as many coats as you need to get the finish you are looking for.

Fred