Author Topic: A little engraving for your viewing  (Read 7242 times)

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
A little engraving for your viewing
« on: June 20, 2016, 06:49:02 PM »
Here are a couple of shots of a patch box that I recently engraved. I have been working on making clean cuts and line flow and I think that I am starting to finally put some decent scrathing on the metal. Sorry for the bad pictures but let me know what you think.

Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline P.W.Berkuta

Re: A little engraving for your viewing
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 08:29:42 PM »
Very nice -- what type of tool are you using -- hammer & graver or power tool?
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 08:40:16 PM »
I am using a Lindsay Palm graver with the Lindsay universal grind on the graver. I like to do hammer and chisel work but it is hard on my hands. After a coulple of hours with H&C my left hand hand cramps pretty badly. That is probably becasue I use a death grip on the graver. Anyway with the power graver I can engrave all day and no problem with my hands or shoulders and back.
Jim Parker

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2016, 09:40:13 PM »
Very nice execution on a classic style design.

Offline grabenkater

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2016, 10:06:52 PM »
How much time difference in completing the project with the power graver and the traditional graver?
When a nation forgets her skill in war, when her religion becomes a mockery, when the whole nation becomes a nation of money-grabbers, then the wild tribes, the barbarians drive in... Who will our invaders be? From whence will they come?

Offline t.caster

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2016, 11:22:22 PM »
It's as good or better than old Jacob Dickert did! IMHO
Tom C.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2016, 12:07:44 AM »
Looks right to me!
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2016, 12:43:19 AM »
Grabenkater I am not the fastest engraver out there. I probably have qround 7 or 8 hours in this patch box with my Lindsay I would add at least 3 hours to this if I cut it with H&C.
Jim Parker

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2016, 02:08:31 AM »
Hi Jim,
Very well done and it looks bang on correct.  I urge you to also get Lindsay's 90o detail template and the round bottom template.  I find the detail cutter to be much better for shading than the universal shape and many original long rifle and English guns used round bottomed cuts for deep shaping of volutes and leaves and accent lines.  Again, very well done.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline KC

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2016, 03:22:26 AM »
I think it looks great. I like the design. Clean and not overly complicated. Nice border too.
K.C. Clem
Bradenton, FL

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2016, 03:50:00 AM »
I really like the border, Jim, nice touch!

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline gumboman

• Gumbocooking
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2016, 04:13:57 AM »
Very well done Jim. I too like that border. Very precise and it looks similar to some engraving on my old English double percussion.  My flintlock fowling piece is nearly complete now so I will need either some engraving instruction from you or have you do the engraving for this latest project. Will contact you soon to discuss. I would really like to learn to do some engraving but I am not sure I have the talent, the temperament or the time for it.

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2016, 05:45:02 AM »
I'd be quite happy with that result.

Looking good Jim.

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2016, 03:02:32 PM »
Nice work. Are you chasing with a hammer or using an air powered graver?

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2016, 04:14:22 PM »
Classy. I especially like the scene of Calvary.

Offline elkhorne

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2016, 05:49:49 PM »
Jim,
Beautiful job and looks correct for the period to my novice eyes. Out of curiosity, what thickness of brass do you make your patchboxes out of. I'm about ready to start one and I have several thicknesses but want to be as close to period correct for an early Issac Haines rifle I am building. Thanks and can not wait to see the finished rifle. Please post some pictures when done.
Gary

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2016, 07:54:35 PM »
Elkhorne, I did not make this box but when I do make mine I use 22 guage sheet brass. This is a little heavier than was used by many of the early makers. Some of the early brass boxes that were made from sheet that I have seen were about half the thickness of 22 guage. Pretty then, the a few of the real early boxes were cast brass and these are pretty thick so I think you could use whatever thickness you feel comfortable with using.

Gaeckle I used a Lindsay Palm graver to cut this patchbox.

The rifle is being built by a student of mine and we are getting to the carving stage of the build. This is his first rifle and we will post pictures of it when he gets it finished. He had asked me to engrave the box for him because he did not feel comfortable doing the engraving.

Thanks, Jim
Jim Parker

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2016, 08:23:26 PM »
The squiggle border on your lid is fantastic!
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2016, 09:13:56 PM »
Looks quite nice and virtually perfect to me. Compared to what I have see on old NA rifles, this is wonderfully fine, approaching fine English work, in comparison.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Cody Tetachuk

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2016, 05:59:08 PM »
FWIW, I think that it is very appropriate although I like engraving to be highlighted (blackened). However, I see a break in the conceptual continuity in that all the design uses the edge of the box as the edge of the engraving (A method I much prefer over the alternative) EXCEPT the "C" scroll to the right of the finial and the head of the scroll adjacent to it where the outer edge of these scrolls are engraved in rather than employing the edge of the box as the outer limit of the scroll like the rest of the work. IMO ( and it's just that, an opinion) one style should be chosen (and is often dictated by the way the box parts were designed/cut) and used throughout the entire piece. Another thought, since I'm here, don't be afraid to clean up the cutout design on purchased inlays. The scrolls on the side plates are elongated and laboured where they transit from the back spine to the curved head )as an example). The design would flow better if some judicial file work had been applied to provide a more graceful, flowing curve is some of these areas. The actual ENGRAVING is quite nice and period appropriate in both design and execution, again, IMO.

Offline Topknot

• www.yahoo.com
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2016, 02:31:16 AM »
Jim, from my perspective that patch box is top notch. You have truly captured the Dickert style, only better than he could have done in my opinion.
Not trying to give you a big head but also in my opinion, I think your work is getting better and better with each new project that you share with us here on the forum. Keep up the good work.

topknot
TIM COMPTON, SR.

layover to catch meddlers!

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2016, 04:17:12 AM »
Very nice work. You should be proud. An so should your student. Again weldone.

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2016, 02:49:21 AM »
Hi Cody

Thanks for looking at this. You make some very good points, most of which I agree with.

This was a precut patchbox that my student bought with the parts he purchased to build his rifle. We should have spent a little more time cleaning up the profile of the box. Doing this would have made the engraving flow a little better in places. We only have limited time to work on his rifle, one day a month. I opted to show him how to file a draft on the edges of the box and concentrated on his inletting skills rather than try to teach him good patchbox design. This skill can come later.

My engraving quality and line work was my main concern of this post. I do not claim to be a great or good engraver but I am working on it. There are a number of good engravers that post on this forum and I was in hopes to receive some input on this part of my effort.

Thanks again for yours and all of the other comments they are much appreciated.
Jim Parker

Offline Cody Tetachuk

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2016, 04:14:25 PM »
Hi Cody

Thanks for looking at this. You make some very good points, most of which I agree with.

MOST???, what do you mean "most"?. That should read "ALL"  :D. I was looking again and noticed something else that may or may not have been intentional and that is the shading on the scrolls. To my eye, most of them are shaded backwards. The "C" scroll on the left side plate employs opposite shading structures on each end. Long shade strokes on the inside getting progressively shorter as they move outward on the bottom "head" of the scroll ( the proper way to shade this style of scroll IMO) and the long shade strokes on the OUTSIDE getting progressively shorter as they move inward on the top "head" of the scroll. The shade, or shadow should come from the main "spine" of the scroll as it starts to curl around, not from the outer edge. There is nothing there to cast a shadow. again, JMO. I don't build guns or engrave anymore but I still like to stop in from time to time to look around and am always interested in what people are doing especially engraving