Author Topic: Kibler .36 Walnut Kit  (Read 48464 times)

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Kibler .36 Walnut Kit
« Reply #125 on: July 01, 2016, 06:05:40 PM »
You want me to hunt some squirrels with that this fall? Just in case you don't know how or something... ;)
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline mikeyr

• Starting Member
« Reply #126 on: July 01, 2016, 07:32:07 PM »
looks awesome !

Now that you are finished, lets have some details on the metal work, how did you finish it ?  I thought my only choices in finishing gun metal was blue and brown, is that metal left untreated ? or ?

My .36 walnut kit will be here in a few months (or so I am told) and I am getting anxious.
...let's finish a rifle I started back in the 70's...

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • member 2
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #127 on: July 01, 2016, 07:46:16 PM »
I wanted the metal to have a "grey"color to it - My Dad gave me a set of cutters when I was a kid helping him with projects, over 40 years, they turned a really great shade of "gun metal grey" and I wanted that same color:

I don't have any tanks, or bluing gear, so I just got the Birchwood Casey Liquid Gun Blue Kit from online, and filed and cleaned all the metal down to a very clean and shiny state, all scratches and such gone. polishing wheel and 2200 grade paper. (also OOOOO steel wool)

I then cleaned the metal with hot soapy water (rubber gloves on so no skin oil could touch the metal) then when it was totally clean, I cleaned it again with the Casey cleaner, washed it off with a garden hose. I then applied the caseys cold blue, waited 10 seconds, then washed it off with a hose. Dried it with a clean towel, dipped OOOOO steel wool in a jar of "Frog Lube" (Yup, real stuff) and I polished it to the grey color I wanted.  Once you oil it, you have to re-do everything if you don't like the color, so keep it clean, set up everything on wooden jigs or holders so you can blue each piece evenly, without having to hold parts with your fingers (it will take the blueing off - ask me how I know) , and hose it off as soon as you finish applying it.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 07:50:35 PM by Kingsburyarms »

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • member 2
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #128 on: July 01, 2016, 07:54:28 PM »
You want me to hunt some squirrels with that this fall? Just in case you don't know how or something... ;)

May need some help there Mike -

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #129 on: July 02, 2016, 12:58:26 AM »
2200 grit paper! :o Do they make such a thing?
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

mparker762

« Reply #130 on: July 02, 2016, 02:10:07 AM »

3M makes sandpaper up into the 10,000+ grit range.  http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=33004&cat=1,43072, and other outfits make 0.1 micron diamond film (~ 50,000 grit) http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=68943&cat=1,43072

For the submicron sandpaper, I prefer making my own by spritzing a little diamond spray onto a piece of typing paper or cardboard.  To go finer than that, I use newspaper without any abrasive on it - the natural silicates in the wood pulp, combined by the softness of the newspaper, will act as a very fine polish.

The level of polish achievable by 0.1 micron diamond followed by newspaper is something to behold. It's actually difficult to see, it's a more perfect mirror than an actual mirror.  This progression of abrasives puts a *very* sharp edge on my Craftsman straight razors.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 02:15:05 AM by mparker762 »

Offline Sweeney

« Reply #131 on: July 02, 2016, 02:21:48 AM »
an incredibly educational thread this has been! Thanks everybody.

Offline David Price

• The Flintlock Shop
« Reply #132 on: July 02, 2016, 03:06:46 AM »
Jon,

You did a fine job on that rifle.  You should be proud of yourself.  I knew that you had the talent
from the first meeting that we had when you were working on your first rifle.  It will be interesting
to see what your next project will be and I am sure that it will come out just as good.

I am looking forward to shooting that little beauty .

Jim Kibler should be very happy with what you have done with his kit.

David Price

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • member 2
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #133 on: July 02, 2016, 04:46:08 AM »
Thank you David, Sweeney, Jim, Mike and others  -

It's great to have the support of those who have been there before, and create these works of art as a living - I will return to my "Chambers" project, Patchbox engraving, and wrap that up over the next few months (The thread will be revitalized with the work in a few days).

I hope to find a "Winter Project" as this is quite addicting.

David - Your feedback is quite flattering, I hope to exceed your expectations, and value your mentorship and friendship. You get the first shot - if not this weekend, then next. I have all the supplies needed to punch some holes in some paper.. :) -

Jim Kibler - You did a fantastic job on these kits - looking forward to all you have to offer - and I appreciate all you have done for me and the community -

Now, Let's get back to building...

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #134 on: July 03, 2016, 03:00:14 AM »

Just take 220 grit paper and multiply it by 10....viola:2200 grit paper!

Offline Kermit

« Reply #135 on: July 03, 2016, 05:09:43 AM »
I've used 12000 grit paper-actually cloth. The stuff is so fine you can polish your glasses with the stuff.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline Squirrel pizza

« Reply #136 on: July 04, 2016, 11:14:28 PM »
Well Mr. Kingsburyarms, how does she shoot? How about posting a couple target pictures. I admire the effort you put into the details. The metal finish is outstanding. I know your son wil cherish that rifle for a lifetime, and with any luck, his son. Ya done good!

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • member 2
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #137 on: July 05, 2016, 01:40:07 AM »
Thank you  - Away this weekend, will hit the range by week's end - More to follow on the performance- Happy 4th to all - and thank you for all of your service.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #138 on: July 06, 2016, 04:39:54 AM »
Be careful now, this could look like a she but actually identifies as a he......you never know these days. ;D

Or perhaps one of the other 30 differently defined 'sexual identities' declared in New York.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • member 2
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #139 on: July 06, 2016, 05:48:51 AM »
This is a rifle, not a person - Please remove your political or social "categories" from my thread.  - Thanks

Offline mikeyr

• Starting Member
« Reply #140 on: July 06, 2016, 08:00:08 PM »
40 years ago, I started from a chunk of wood to build a rifle, I gave up when I got to the hard parts and I still have it but I bought a Kibler kit since that will actually get finished and may give me ideas on finishing my first project BUT I will be trying that grey method on the barrel this weekend :)  I really like the look of it and think I will do that on my Kibler kit when I get it, I was hoping to make it look "different" from all the others which is why I chose Walnut as I see Walnut flintlocks less often and was hoping to not have Blue or Brown for the metal...I will practice this weekend.

Is it weird I am going to practice finishing for a kit I wont even have for another few months :) ?
...let's finish a rifle I started back in the 70's...

Offline Squirrel pizza

« Reply #141 on: July 07, 2016, 09:48:56 AM »
No Mikey, it's not weird. Do you want your rifle to look like this one or that block of wood with a barrel? It may be a kit, but it's only what you make of it. Put the parts together, powder patch ball boom. Or have something like the one above. Patience. Effort. Success. Or, block of wood with barrel. (I have some of them around here somewhere.) good luck. Maybe you could post your efforts. It's fun to watch. Just don't bring up toe plates or how many chisels you own.  One toe plate 2, maybe 4 chisels is enough.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 09:52:59 AM by Squirrel pizza »

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • member 2
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #142 on: July 09, 2016, 04:45:48 PM »
Wrapping this thread up:

David Price, His son and I shot the .36 yesterday, David got the first shot (It was about 10 as I had to pry it out of his hands :)) To all beginners, Please find a mentor, a person with experience to shoot with the first few times, David and his son are experts, and even after shooting so many different firearms in my life, this was my first flintlock, and the instruction, guidance, operation, safety and advice is priceless. I'm sure you can find someone to assist.

After I got it out of Davids hands - here were my results after three shots:

25 Yards
.350 Lead round ball
.020 lubricated patch
40 grains FFF Goex
72 Degrees, cloudy/overcast/no wind
With David Price Sr., David, Jr.

Here is a shot of David  - and the .36's first firing.

Thank you all for your help, insight and assistance.

Jon

« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 05:36:37 PM by Kingsburyarms »

Doc

« Reply #143 on: July 09, 2016, 05:11:40 PM »
Was that a .250 round ball, or a .350? 

Thanks, waiting on mine!!

Doc

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • member 2
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #144 on: July 09, 2016, 05:36:13 PM »
Typo - I fixed it - .350 Round ball - Need more Coffee -  :D

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #145 on: July 09, 2016, 06:40:40 PM »
Well done. I LIKE it a lot. An it seems yeah shoot it a might well too!!! Thanks for sharing.

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • member 2
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #146 on: July 10, 2016, 12:21:08 AM »
You are welcome - Thanks Jim, for the incredible quality and craftsmanship of this kit, David for your understanding and answers to 1000 questions, and to ALR for your advice and direction - Off to the Chambers rifle (or "back to") the rifle - Videos will be posted in the "shooting" forum of the .36, a few .54's and David's Swivel Breach.. (we took full advantage of the day.. :))
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 12:22:42 AM by Kingsburyarms »

thimble rig

« Reply #147 on: July 10, 2016, 02:45:45 AM »
Sounds like you guys had an awesome day.Thanks for posting youre work.I always enjoy following youre builds.