Author Topic: getting close (tennessee style )  (Read 4154 times)

Offline frenchman

• Keep it simple
getting close (tennessee style )
« on: March 29, 2009, 06:39:58 PM »
It's getting close, the trimming is almost finish, going to the wire . I have kept 1/16 of wood in most places . Trying to get close to the look of John Walker style (if John is around that would be great help ) I am down to trimming the stock part ,does this seem right, it is Tennessee style it will give me close to 1 3/8 for the wrist. This week i will finish the lollipop tang i hope than fit. Than down to the wire. Than all the metal work.
Denis
Denis

Offline frenchman

• Keep it simple
Re: getting close (tennessee style )
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 05:16:32 AM »
i am interested i comments??
Denis

Offline RobertS

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 05:40:28 AM »
I may be the least qualified to comment, but it looks to me like you are well on your way!

J Shingler

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 01:27:22 PM »
Looks like you have a good start. It is kind of hard to tell in the picture. You have some kind of pattern on there? I am not familiar with the style so I can not help there, but it looks like your comb is to long. You will have to pull it back a little to give you room for your hand to grip the wrist. Looks good so far!
Jeff

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 03:36:29 PM »
I'm not sure on your progression of building.   You stated that you had a Lollypop tang to inlet.....doesn't that normally
fall right in with fitting the barrel in the stock, and is normally the first thing we do.   This should be followed with the
lock inlet,  then the trigger inlet.   You need that in order to determine length of pull.  I'm not a Tennessee rifle builder,
but that buttplate doesn't look good to me.  It may be proper for the gun you are building,  I just don't like it.....looks like
it would slip off your shoulder.   Don't  take these comments personally,  I am just playing the part of the devils advocate,
just pointing out things that don't look right to me.............Don

Offline frenchman

• Keep it simple
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 12:03:42 AM »
Hi Don, none taking ,this is a learning process that is why a place the picture the next one will be done differently it does follow the lines very closely. I agree that Tennessee style is not for everyone. By the way nice barn gun
Denis
Denis

lew wetzel

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 12:19:58 AM »
you still got a long way to go...

George F.

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 01:41:23 AM »
Okay, what happened to the tape measure?...Geo.

Offline Carper

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2009, 02:27:29 AM »
frenchman:  Looks like you have done a lot work there. Where did you get that butt plate , homemade or storebought? With your lock inlet done you cant slide the barrel back any further if you need to, but you should try to locate where the front trigger would be by using the sear bar and then check how long the distance is from the trigger location to the buttplate. I use  13  5/8 inches but you can live with almost 14. Check that now.  You can still move the buttplate forward some if you have to. I would almost suggest flattening out the curvature of that plate just a bit to get rid of a little of that super long toe.  I do really like the flat bottom line you have but sometime using a really sharp curved plate you end up with that really long toe. Dont worry about the long comb, lots of rifles from the hills had really short wrists. The lollypop tang is tough for a first time  builder most of the guns from around here (sw va) had some type of spear anyway. I am honored that you would want to build anything that resembles any of my guns.   It looks better than my first gun that I can tell you.   Keep going       Johnny.

Offline frenchman

• Keep it simple
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2009, 05:26:14 AM »
Hi Johnny,thanks for the help, the butt plate was bought. Next one i will make . I have it down to 13 3/4 from the sear which is very close for me. For the toe i could bring it down a bit i have about 3/16 of wood available under the toe. i have kept the minimal of wood about every where. From the wrist to the end of the barrel 1/16 and from the wrist down to the butt 1/4 plus. All the books say keep more wood it's easier to take it off than to add. For the butt plate i will readraw and see it makes me a little nervous to flatten it now. Will sleep on it. I am trying , reading and planning and asking advice if it goes as plan i will add my little touches but for now will stay with the basic.
Thanks
Denis
Denis