Author Topic: Engraving question  (Read 2659 times)

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
Engraving question
« on: July 08, 2016, 04:30:15 PM »
For those of you who use a flat graver to cut nick and dot borders in the traditional manner,  how do you shape/sharpen your flat graver.   I am starting with 3/32" square tool bits.   

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
Re: Engraving question
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2016, 06:22:40 PM »
 Mark.
 Here are two good tips for doing nick and dot. #1 make you graver width just a little bit wider than the nicks you want to cut. That will allow you to use the graver width as a gauge to see how tall each nick is.  A common mistake is the nicks are not uniform in height.
  #2 Make the heel at 25°.  A heel of less then 20° does not allow you to come out of the cut fast enough and will leave a jagged edge on the side you exit.  I know I will get an argument on this because this is not always true. If the nicks are shallow enough they can be cut with a lower heel. I use a 50 ° face but not neccessary. I use a 50° face because the point lasts longer.  Just my 2cents worth.   

Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

DFHicks

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2016, 06:26:14 PM »
I use the Lindsay template for a "flat graver"  with an elevated platform for the template graver holder.  This is "jerry rigging" but it does work.  Let me make it clear however that I have had absolutely no luck with doing the nick and dot technique.  The snow flake syndrome ( no two are alike) gets me every time.  Good luck.
Greg

Offline Mark Elliott

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2016, 08:51:39 PM »
Jerry,  Do you rotate the graver tip at all, or is it just an in and out (or up and down) movement?  I have been trying different techniques and a straight in and a slight rotate out seems to work the best.   However "best" is a long way from acceptable.    I really need to take another class somewhere but my disabilities make most classes a problem.   

Best

Mark

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2016, 09:00:32 PM »
Hi Mark

I use a size 38 and a 40 most of the time when making this cut. I am not sure what the thickness is of these two gravers are but that will give you a reference. I have used a 45 deg. face and a 15 degree heel but I am going to try Jerry's setup and see if it works better. I have to cut this for a while before I get a rythem and make decent cuts. I have to remember to advance down the line and roll the graver into and out of the cut all at the same time, not an easy thing to do. >:(
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2016, 09:14:42 PM »
Mark.
 I go in and out with a slight roll.
 The other big factor is this. When you are cutting look at the face of the graver as if it were coming at you. Look down on it from the front not from the back. It doesn't do much good to see where you have been. What counts is where you are going. Take a small scriber and scribe a few pyramids on a practice plate. Then cut them as I described. You can watch the edge of the graver follow the line coming out of the cut. Most people seem to have the most trouble coming out. Keep the graver pointing toward the original cut line you are following
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline Mark Elliott

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2016, 10:06:48 PM »
Thanks a ton, Jerry.  You have given me plenty to work on. ;)