Author Topic: Quick question  (Read 3209 times)

Offline Long Ears

Quick question
« on: November 15, 2016, 05:42:37 AM »
I know, it has nothing to do with LONG rifles but everyone thinks when you build guns you fix them also. A friend dropped by and has a CVA Mountain rifle that the nipple blew out of the drum. On further inspection the threads for the nipple are trashed from being cross threaded ::). Does anyone know where I might find a new drum for this Spanish made rifle? If I have to make it the cost will be more than the rifle is worth. Thanks, Bob

Offline sdilts

Re: Quick question
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2016, 01:57:05 PM »
I found one at Dixie Gun Works a while back.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 03:25:57 PM »
Do like I do. Hand it back to him and say "I don't fix guns". ;D
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Silverfox

• Starting Member
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2016, 03:48:45 PM »
Check Deer Creek Products, Waldron, Indiana.  They carry CVA and Traditions parts.
http://www.deercreekproducts.net/
765-525-6181

Offline Mike_StL

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2016, 05:12:43 PM »
You have to be very careful of the CVA breeches.  CVA uses a system of inegrating the breech and the drum so that the drum is threaded into both the barrel and the breech then drilling the passage to the powder chamber.  ITs almost impossible to remove the drum and replace it.  Your best bet might be to go to a larger threaded nipple and drill and tap the existing drum for the larger threads.

That's the breech and drum you are likely dealing with, so be careful.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 05:29:17 PM by Mike_StL »

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2016, 07:08:19 PM »
I would drill the drum for an oversized nipple and put a next size up nipple in. This is done all of the time for old percussion shotguns where the nipples need to be replaced and the old nipples are frozen into the breech. They drill out the old nipple and retap with the next size up tap. I bought a complete set of taps that are made to do this and the nipples to match for a minimal price. I would tell the guy if he is willing to buy the taps and nipples then I would do the job for 20 bucks or so for my labor. If he does not want to put that much into the gun then do like Mike says which is probably the best thing to do anyway.  ;D

Here is a link to TOW tap set https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/1046/1/TOOL-RETAP-SET-5
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 07:13:25 PM by bama »
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2016, 09:25:41 PM »
 A real good gunsmith can fix this as good as new and has the tools to do it.  The problem I have found is people who own a gun like this never want to pay for the job.

Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2016, 09:53:55 PM »
This picture also illustrates the folly of those trying to convert their CVA from percussion to flint.  The danger is obvious.

Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson